How to germinate Opuntia seed

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roger Mann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

How to germinate Opuntia seed

Post by Roger Mann »

Any tips please on the germination of Opuntia seed. Roger Mann :eek: :eek:
B.C.S.S Member 32963 Clacton on Sea Branch and Sedum Society .CSSA long time member also Alpine Garden Society. I collect Sedums and Opuntias large and small. I live in Essex and also go to Chelmsford branch meetings. :grin: :grin: Roger Mann.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: How to germinate Opuntia seed

Post by Ali Baba »

Stick it in a pot, water and keep warm and shaded, comes up like cress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

I have a nice little tray of Opuntia Ficus-Indica seedlings planted on 21st March. Now they are approaching 3 inches tall!!
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

In my experience it depends on the Opuntia in question and the quality of the seed. I have sown several batches of T. alexanderi 'geometricus' from various sources with zero plants to show for it whereas straight T alexanderii and A floccossa have resulted in lots of seedlings. North American Opuntias generally seem easier and a mixed packet of 'mixed hardy forms' obtained through the society a few years back generated a couple of dozen plants.....all very similar O. polyacantha type plants.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch