Plant labels and printing

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
StevenT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Plant labels and printing

Post by StevenT »

Thanks, Dave but I'll stay with my printer and laminator system. I don't feel I need to buy a label printer as with what I do I've got total control and, as I say, I often have a lot of info I want to see on the labels. Some of my plants have histories of who collected them, where and in what conditions, and then there's from who and when I acquired them and so on. For species I like to show synonym names or other opinions on their names, such as the New Cactus Lexicon name and Boris Schlumpberger's name. For hybrids I like to include their parentage too.

So some labels have 15 lines of info :eek:

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

"So some labels have 15 lines of info."

Don't the labels keep the sun off the plants? :grin:
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

I fired up my Brother P-touch P750W to print a few labels last night. As usual it requested a PC software update (54007). I obliged as I usually would. Again as usual it had defaulted back to "Auto Cut" so I changed it to "Special Tape (no cuts)". After the second label it started cutting again. So I reset it and the same thing happens over and over. You now have to select "no cuts" for every print. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so.

Sneaky enough out of Brother you might say. Luckily I still had version 54006 on my PC so I've loaded that up today and am back on "Auto no cuts". I looked but haven't been able to find older versions of the software online.

To be perfectly honest it's hard to tell which version is the most economic. The old version leaves a nice bit of blank tape between labels. The newer version automatically cuts off about an inch of waste but the label itself is nice and compact leaving only a couple of millimetres blank tape at each end. So it's clear Brother could minimise the waste if they really wanted to.

So the question is has anybody else noticed this and come up with a software version that minimises waste?
I'm not happy about this for lots of different reasons.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

habanerocat wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:25 pm I fired up my Brother P-touch P750W to print a few labels last night. As usual it requested a PC software update (54007). I obliged as I usually would. Again as usual it had defaulted back to "Auto Cut" so I changed it to "Special Tape (no cuts)". After the second label it started cutting again. So I reset it and the same thing happens over and over. You now have to select "no cuts" for every print. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so.

Sneaky enough out of Brother you might say. Luckily I still had version 54006 on my PC so I've loaded that up today and am back on "Auto no cuts". I looked but haven't been able to find older versions of the software online.

To be perfectly honest it's hard to tell which version is the most economic. The old version leaves a nice bit of blank tape between labels. The newer version automatically cuts off about an inch of waste but the label itself is nice and compact leaving only a couple of millimetres blank tape at each end. So it's clear Brother could minimise the waste if they really wanted to.

So the question is has anybody else noticed this and come up with a software version that minimises waste?
I'm not happy about this for lots of different reasons.
My label printer P-Touch 1230PC prints about 30cm of labels all in one go and I cut them with scissors.

Don't think mine has ever been updated software wise.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi,
I too use a Brother PT700 printer, and as someone else mentioned, it will print the info direct from a Access Datadase. You can make the label as long or short as you like (My new layout put the VAR bit of the name on the second line, saving space?). I use 9mm tapes which are cheap Chinese copies, but they seem to work fine.. Perhaps time will tell, some are a couple of years old and showing no signs of fading, YET!

Mel.
AYLOSTERA aff. STEINMANNII BLMT166A.01.jpg
AYLOSTERA RITTERII 'PSEUDORITTERI' BLMT715.0.jpg
AYLOSTERA PYGMAEA 'FRIEDRICHIANA' BLMT64.04-01.jpg
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.