Succulents and cacti watering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mandy
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Succulents and cacti watering

Post by Mandy »

My plants are drying out quickly in the greenhouse with this hot weather, is it okay to water them once a week , just scared of over doing it as I'm new to keeping them.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Succulents and cacti watering

Post by Liz M »

Hi Mandy, the advice that we give and receive is water your plants when they have dried out. In the growing season they will use quite a lot of water and when it is as hot as it is now they will need a lot more. I grow more succulents than cacti and they need huge amounts of water at the moment, two or three times a week is perfectly OK. Cacti need less but even they will dry out fast in a hot greenhouse, so possibly twice a week. Whatever you do first make sure the compost is dry right through the pot, take out the label to check, then really soak them. You should, also, have every window and vent open. I have left my top lights open permanently and replaced the glass in the door with mesh. If you are concerned your plants are scorching, bring them outside where they will be cooler.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
PeterW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by PeterW »

My cacti live outside all year - at the moment I am watering them once a fortnight. In high summer when they dry out real fast it will be once a week.
Bought my first cactus in 1957 - Now retired and growing Mexican desert cacti in the sun.
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

Hi liz I have both windows , vents and doors open all the time, I will make shore they dry out in between watering. The greenhouse gets full sun all day would it be advicable to get some shading up what do members think, thank you for any advice. Much apreciated.
Mandy
Registered Guest

Post by Mandy »

14958012839191348628121.jpg
14958012839191348628121.jpg
they all seem to be doing ok, two more new ones can some one I'd them for me. I have found when I have been going around garden centres that hardly any of them are named which is a shame, because I do like to no the names of my plants.
Attachments
1495801333400996487840.jpg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

A nicely flowering Notocactus in the final photo, Mandy. I'm not sure of the species.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

The one to the right of the yellow flowered Notocactus is a young Ferocactus. If you post some closer pictures of ones you don't know the name of, I expect you will get some help :-)