Greenhouse advice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CORNWALL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Greenhouse advice

Post by Cactusgirl »

I'm going to buy an 8x10 Eden greenhouse as I'm now addicted to collecting cacti! I want to purchase the polycarbonate version as although more expensive I think it may be easier to maintain and keep heated in winter. I'm also interested in solar cooling/hearing devices. Can anyone offer any advice or recommendations please with regard to any of the above!? Thanks
Mandy
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Greenhouse advice

Post by Mandy »

I personally would go for a glass greenhouse there more sturdy, my friend got a polycarbonate one and in bad wind it blow the panels through. But this is just my apinuin. There's not enough wait to them.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

Hi thanks for that Mandy. The Eden site states the greenhouses have very strong strengthened frames and bars & are same frames in the range whether you choose glass, toughened glass or polycarbonate. Hopefully someone will have experience of Eden greenhouses. Thanks
Mandy
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by Mandy »

Which every you go for enjoy, I've just built a new 10ftx10ft greenhouse needed more space as i have started a cacti collection, l can see why members say they can be addictive. Every time I go to a garden centre I go looking for one I haven't got, it's like being in a sweetshop.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Unless the GH is going to be in a very sheltered area I would go for toughned glass every time.

Glass is very much heavier than polycarbonate.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

I would also go with glass. No doubt. Much more sturdy in storms (I assume, I don't have polycarbonate experience besides a cold frame I use to keep my winter active plants free of freezing during winter to heath up just that little space of the cold fame).

Glass is also heavier, so in case you have a window open with a lot of wind, it will stay where it is and will not be lifted up so easily. And glass is more robust than you might expect. I do have glass panes in the top of my greenhouse with a big crack starting from the side at about half its length, running straight to the middle of the top. Probably happened in a storm many years ago. It survived many more storms after that with that big crack.

And if you want to replace a pane. I suspect glass will be cheaper (assuming you buy it a a greenhouse seller, that can cut the glass to fit. The 'normal' glass sellers will be much more expensive, so know where to buy new glass!).

I doubt polycarbonate is easy to clean, though. Glass certainly is!
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I think that it is not the strength of the frame that worries people about polycarbonate. Instead it is the strength and stiffness of the actual panes. Under wind load these tend to bend and can pop out of the frame.
To be fair I too only have experience of glass in a greenhouse but I'd be very wary of using polycarbonate.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Glass is also more transparent and easier to clean. Once moisture gets in between the layers of twin wall polycarbonate, as it inevitably will, algae quickly develops and soon becomes unsightly.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member

Post by Cactusgirl »

Thanks everyone for the advice and very useful comments - certainly given me a lot to think about! Thanks
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote:And if you want to replace a pane. I suspect glass will be cheaper (assuming you buy it a a greenhouse seller, that can cut the glass to fit. The 'normal' glass sellers will be much more expensive, so know where to buy new glass!).
I believe I have to pay 8 euros for a pane cut to fit at my greenhouse seller, which is in my case a pane of about 150 centimeters by 80 centimeters. I don't think polycarbonate will be that cheap.