help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bob 3
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

help

Post by Bob 3 »

Can cacti in bud abort buds on being watered?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: help

Post by Tina »

yes but they don't normally, what was the plant ?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Bob 3 wrote:Can cacti in bud abort buds on being watered?
Possibly if they've been OVERwatered :wink: .
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Yes, early in the year with the first real watering at an early stage of the bud development the plant will immediately start into growth when watered and shed their buds. Once the buds are well advanced though they are usually OK with watering. This usually applies to plants that produce flower's early in the year, or carry them over winter, those that produce flowers later in the season have already been watered before they bud anyway.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Early Echinocereus can be prone to this.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Certainly I have noticed this on Echinocereus triglochidiatus and allied species. You have to finely judge the first watering or some of the buds wither.
Similarly one of my Trichocereus will show early buds in spring but if you water too soon they abort in favour of growth.
Bob 3
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Bob 3 »

I would like to thank Tina,Rodsmith,Dave w,Hertz Mike and AliBaba for theircomments regarding bud loss.Tina the plants were Mamm.Bocensis and Sulcorebtia Aernacea(my Mamm Pectinifera I had of you are doing fine)