Advice and identification of new disease

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David48
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Re: Advice and identification of new disease

Post by David48 »

Here are the pics requested. I have not knowingly experienced red spider before, if it is this, it took over the plant mighty quickly and turned the whole of it orange, and just appeared in a few plants. I have sprayed my plants with the bug spray ultra from the local garden centre, said to attack red spider. Pics of Mammillaria microhelia and two Echinocereus:
Attachments
17-06-25 Echinocereus parma... sick.JPG
17-06-25 Echinocereus sick.JPG
17-06-25 Mammillaria microhelia sick.JPG
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Hard to make much out on the 1st and 3rd pics, but 2nd looks very like rsm damage. Rsm is easy to miss at an early stage, then when the damage has become severe is all too easy to spot. The time from 'early' to 'severe' can be quite short.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

DaveW wrote:Looks like the camera white balance set to daylight Brian, but taken under a tungsten bulb?
That was the information I was hoping to receive, plants receiving artificial light in low levels and perhaps a bit too warm and dry.
David48 wrote:Here are the pics requested. I have not knowingly experienced red spider before, if it is this, it took over the plant mighty quickly and turned the whole of it orange, and just appeared in a few plants. I have sprayed my plants with the bug spray ultra from the local garden centre, said to attack red spider. Pics of Mammillaria microhelia and two Echinocereus:
Definitely Red Spider Mite as Mike says. It is very apparent as a pale 'mottling ', dried out appearance on the epidermis, almost woody looking. Very unsightly, but if treated properly the plants will eventually grow through it. You do however need to be vigilant as plants that have had an infestation can be very susceptible to reinfestation

- - - - - - -
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
David48
BCSS Member

Post by David48 »

I sprayed my collection once last week and will spray again this weekend. RSM horrible disease. I find the odd individual mealy bug from time to time, but nothing like the problem of RSM. I think one Echinocereus is close to death. The tall one has produced a sideshoot free of disease, I will take a cutting indue course. M microhelia is pretty bad. Don't know where RSM came from. All part of the learning curve I guess.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

David48 wrote: RSM horrible disease.
I don't think we can call it a disease. Pest would be the correct term to use. The problem it causes is scarring of the epidermis .
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
David48
BCSS Member

Post by David48 »

At the time of posting I did not realise it was a pest :-)