Melocactus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

Melocactus

Post by D^L »

A small melocactus bought from the local garden centre. The body is about 4 inches in diameter, without the spines. Is it obvious what species these are?
Raging against the dying of the light, I'm afraid. Taken as the sun goes down, lying under the trampoline to catch the one place in the garden that the last rays illuminate. So there might be a bit of a colour cast.
Many thanks
David Lambie
Bristol
Melocactus flowers
Melocactus flowers
Melocactus body
Melocactus body
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Melocactus

Post by Diane »

Hopefully someone with more experience of Melos will be able to confirm, (I don't grow them!), but i think it's M matanzanus. They seem to be quite common now in garden centres and DIY stores. I saw some last week on sale for £4.99, but without cephalium.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Melocactus

Post by D^L »

Thanks Diane for that quick reply. That is the name I have always assumed but when I looked in the New Cactus Lexicon pictures, I was less sure and wondered about violaceus, among others. I haven't grown these for years since I restructured the conservatory (with pound hammer) and got rid of my hot-box.
I think this was about £5, it had just formed a tuft in the middle when I got it and other plants there had none.
Cheers
David