Most difficult cactus to flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Most difficult cactus to flower

Post by gerald »

Interesting points Dave.

Have you considered getting another S rauschii and see if you can get that to flower?

I only have a few plants that are 'doubles' and what I find interesting is that they almost always flower at exactly the same time as each other, even if on different shelves and therefore different microclimates.
PeterW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by PeterW »

My L. principis used to flower each year, but has stopped doing so - I repotted it but it made no difference. Is still alive and growing some. I have a grafted Aztekium ritterii that has never shown any inclination to flower, although A. hintonii (own roots) and a grafted A. valdezii oblige often.
Bought my first cactus in 1957 - Now retired and growing Mexican desert cacti in the sun.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

PeterW wrote: I have a grafted Aztekium ritterii that has never shown any inclination to flower
Same here my grafted ritterii now has 30+ heads on it (albeit very tiny) but never flowers.
PeterW wrote:A. hintonii (own roots)
These flower for me without warning! I almost missed the tiny flower.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

FaeLLe wrote:
PeterW wrote:
PeterW wrote:A. hintonii (own roots)
These flower for me without warning! I almost missed the tiny flower.
I'd love to see pics of this if possible?

For the record, my A ritteri (grafted) never fails to flower, so it is possible (tu)
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I grew my Aztekium hintonii from it's dust like seed when it first became available and also Geohintonia too but lost those in a bad winter. It looked as if there were no seeds in the packet therefore you have to carefully tip them out over the seed pan and tear the packet up to make sure! Only one came up and surprisingly I reared it. They grow quicker than Aztekium ritteri, which must be the slowest cactus. They seem to flower when they produce the wool and bristle like spines at the crown, but so far I never got around to photographing it in flower.
hintonii.jpg
It also produces those linear woolly stripe like spots or patches on the body similar to some forms of Astrophytum ornatum.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Aztekium hintonii flowers are awesome, though small. This plant is a bit of a cheat as I bought it only this winter from a seller in Nuneaton.
A. ritteri flowers are not particularly exciting. This plant is not a cheat as I've owned it for about 40 years. It is, though, probably a plant that would be frowned on today as I suspect it was habitat collected. Bought from one of the Lincolnshire nurseries in the 80s.
Both are own roots.
I hope the photos attach, my first effort with pics.
The plants I've never flowered, C senilis and P pringlei.
DWDogwood
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by DWDogwood »

Neither of my 2 Copiapoa solaris that I've own for 27 years have flowered.
Cuttings root quite readily though, so there's that.