I've been invited to give a talk on cacti at our local school

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: I've been invited to give a talk on cacti at our local school

Post by Aiko »

Funny and also quite surprising to not see any Saguaro like cactus with branches being drawn on the card. The most characteristic shape of all cacti...
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

It sounds as if you had a great time and did not run out of things to say. I'm glad you managed to enthuse the children, if they asked lots of questions that is all that you could wish. You will find the next time less daunting and may even look forward to it( you are bound to be asked to speak again). Well done! I'm sure you are pleased you did it.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Aiko wrote:Funny and also quite surprising to not see any Saguaro like cactus with branches being drawn on the card. The most characteristic shape of all cacti...
No Saguaro because they've been just been educated :smile:
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Liz M wrote:It sounds as if you had a great time and did not run out of things to say. I'm glad you managed to enthuse the children, if they asked lots of questions that is all that you could wish. You will find the next time less daunting and may even look forward to it( you are bound to be asked to speak again). Well done! I'm sure you are pleased you did it.
The opportunity is there for me to do the same for my son and his class, he's 9, so I may just do that!

I was surprised that it went down so well, and that all the teachers were delighted too.

I'm sure that if any other members feel the desire to do something similar at their local school, they'd be very welcome.
PeterW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by PeterW »

Well done, looks like they all had a great time.
Bought my first cactus in 1957 - Now retired and growing Mexican desert cacti in the sun.
David48
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by David48 »

I've also brought my cacti into my primary class at school, at least 30 or so i flowering or very distinguished, so that it was 1:1 cacti to pupils in a class, and used the cacti as objects for art, using chalks and pastels.