Lophophora Williamsi - fruit pods without cross fertilisation?  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lophophora Williamsi - fruit pods without cross fertilisation?

Post by FaeLLe »

So I have two Lophophora Williami's - one is a capitose cluster 10 cm wide and other is a single plant that is 9 cm wide.

They have been taking turns flowering right from Spring and it seems unlikely any of these could pollinate with each other but suddenly the single head plant is now throwing out fruit pods!

Any idea why this could happen? They both sit exactly in front of a fan so wondering if it got wind pollinated with old flower remains?

P.S. one fruit pod seems to have aborted this morning and the other one grew twice in size overnight!
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Lophophora Williamsi - fruit pods without cross fertilisation?

Post by Diane »

Probably because they are self-fertile!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Diane wrote:Probably because they are self-fertile!
Yes; I always get a few seeds from my multi-headed single plant.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

I have never seen this properly confirmed, but some populations of L. williamsii are said to be self-fertile and others self-sterile. It makes sense that after numerous decades in cultivation, the "generic" forms available are descendent from the self-fertile forms.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Terry S.

Re: Lophophora Williamsi - fruit pods without cross fertilisation?  Solved

Post by Terry S. »

Many people recognise five species of Lophophora: williamsii, fricii, diffusa, koeresii and alberto-vojtechii. Of these, only L. williamsii is self-fertile whereas the others are self-sterile. There is however an exception to this statement in that it is all the northern populations of L. williamsii that are self-fertile and many of these such as the ones in Texas would have been the earliest to be sampled and brought into cultivation. However there are a few southern populations of L. williamsii such as the famous clustered one near Huizache junction that are self-sterile - perhaps these should get a different name too?
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Thanks everyone, I actually found a lot of articles on the internet that said L. williamsi is not self fertile but thanks for the insights everyone and Terry S.
PeterW
Registered Guest

Post by PeterW »

My largest Lophophora williamsii, now about 19 years old, with about 16 sprouts that have seeded themselves under the Spanish sun with no help from me. Definitely and vigorously self-fertile. I can never throw away a healthy plant so I have loads of this species - Mrs W gives them away as presents to her friends but supply keeps outstripping demand.

Amazing that we take so much trouble over our seedlings, making sure they are kept in high humidity and do not receive direct sun too soon !
Bought my first cactus in 1957 - Now retired and growing Mexican desert cacti in the sun.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member

Post by FaeLLe »

PeterW wrote:My largest Lophophora williamsii, now about 19 years old, with about 16 sprouts that have seeded themselves under the Spanish sun with no help from me. Definitely and vigorously self-fertile. I can never throw away a healthy plant so I have loads of this species - Mrs W gives them away as presents to her friends but supply keeps outstripping demand.

Amazing that we take so much trouble over our seedlings, making sure they are kept in high humidity and do not receive direct sun too soon !
Hi PeterW,

I have admired your L's under the great spanish sun several times on Facebook :)
Maybe if we meet in Spain you can gift me a monster one too *wink*