Tesco cat litter - supply

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
chris68
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Tesco cat litter - supply

Post by chris68 »

The last 2 trips to our local Bognor Tesco have revealed empty shelves. Today we went to the Chichester Tesco and they only had 5 bags (which we bought).

This is a bit alarming! Could be simply a Southern area supply/distribution problem, re-branding of product, many C&S growers in the area buying it all, many cats with dodgy stomachs :wink: , or more serious issues like withdrawal of product (heaven forbid).

I would be interested to know what the supply is like in other areas of the UK. Do I need to worry?

We have noticed that Pets at Home are now stocking the same fine grade product but in smaller bags (8 Litre) and more expensive - needs must!
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Tesco cat litter - supply

Post by Phil_SK »

The only problem I've had was that the most recent bag I bought was very fine - noticeably smaller grains that previously.
It's still available on their website so it hasn't been withdrawn.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Phil_SK wrote:The only problem I've had was that the most recent bag I bought was very fine - noticeably smaller grains that previously.
I noticed that with the bag I purchased recently, the Sophisticat pink cat litter that I bought a few years ago from Pets at Home (still available http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... cat-litter) did have larger grains than the then available Tesco product so if I manage to use all of my current bag I might try Sophisticat again.
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

Just looked on the Tesco web site and unless I'm mistaken seems to have disappeared.

Keith
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

I got some at the weekend in Oxford Tesco. It's been rebranded and is on their website here:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product ... =265235247

Same stuff as before, but smaller granules, which I prefer anyway. :grin:
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest

Post by Ospreywatcher »

Bought some cat litter from Tesco today, their own brand, thinking it was the same pink stuff I bought previously. I have discovered on opening the bag that it is grey and is dustier than the low dust type. Can anyone tell me if there would be any problem after mixing this with grit and compost or will it have an adverse effect on my plants?
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

It'll turn into a claggy mush.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest

Post by Ospreywatcher »

Did a little experiment and tried washing the dust off the grey cat litter but you're right, it all just turns mushy. Ah well, it only cost £1.50!
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Ospreywatcher wrote:Bought some cat litter from Tesco today, their own brand, thinking it was the same pink stuff I bought previously. I have discovered on opening the bag that it is grey and is dustier than the low dust type.
It used to be called lightweight, now it is low dust
tesco cat litter.JPG
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Just how many types of cat litter does the world need?

Do they prefer dumping on clumping?