Corryocactus sp. ID required

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
chris68
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Corryocactus sp. ID required

Post by chris68 »

I have this plant labelled as Corryocactus erectus, however the image in the NCL under this name has a more open ribbed, sparsely spined body with very red flowers. This plant more closely resembles Corryocactus apiciflorus but that seems to have yellow flowers - does anyone have any other ideas? Whatever the name the striking orange/red flowers are fantastic. Thanks in advance.
Corryocactus.JPG
Corryocactus.JPG (82.27 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
Minime8484
Registered Guest

Re: Corryocactus sp. ID required

Post by Minime8484 »

Corryocactus erectus seems to be quite variable, even in habitat. I have clones of that species from habitat that match the spination on your exactly.
I don't have a lot of experience with C. apiciflorus myself (had one plant that flowered then promptly died on me for unknown reasons), but from what I understand, the flower actually tends to be more red. But, again, that is limited experience.
Beautiful plant from a fantastic genus!
chris68
Registered Guest

Post by chris68 »

Thanks for the comment. Yes a great looking plant and flowers. It does always surprise me the huge variability of cacti within the same species - you can see why there were so many names applied to plants with such differences!

I will keep the plant labelled as erectus.

Many thanks
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Lovely plant, how big and old is it?
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
chris68
Registered Guest

Post by chris68 »

The plant has 3 stems each approx. 3ft tall (90 cm). When any of the stems either get scared/scruffy I cut them off at the base. There is one new stem appearing at the base that is 3 inches (8cm) tall.

Age of plant is a problem! I know I've had it for 12 years given to me as a length of stem about 6 inches (15 cm) long. Not a lot to show for 12 years growth but in that time I have removed a number of tatty stems so the plant would have formed a nice clump by now.

Best flowering this year with every stem producing multiple flowers.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Thanks for the info, Chris!
David