Echinocereus ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Echinocereus ID

Post by MikeT »

An unlabelled Echinocereus, flowering now. I think it's polyacanthus, but would value some more opinions before printing a label.
plant.JPG
Flower tube is 7cm long
Flower tube is 7cm long
flower diameter 6cm
flower diameter 6cm
close-up of flower areoles
close-up of flower areoles
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Echinocereus ID

Post by habanerocat »

It could be E. acifer depending on which book or site you go on.
I'm looking at some pictures here in the book by Blum......

Or polyacanthus v. acifer might be more accepted.
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

habanerocat wrote:It could be E. acifer depending on which book or site you go on.
Thanks; E. acifer it is for the label then.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Mike The flower on E. polyacanthus has a bit more yellow in the centre of the flower, in your second photo your flowers looks more like a plant from the scheeria section of the subgenus triglochidiata which does include E. acifer and its four subspecies,of those four the flowers are too small to be ssp.tubiflorus and the new spines on the offset are the wrong colour to be ssp. huitcholensis, the forth ssp. ssp. ventanensis tends to have a more twisted look to the stem so I would go with E. acifer ssp. acifer. also in the first photo all the stems have similar growth shape and type something that does not tend to happen with E. polyacanthus.
( an Echinocereus without a label is a bit like an Opuntia without one, there are so many similar plants , natural hybrids in habitat and cross pollinated species in collections. )
Last edited by RAYWOODBRIDGE on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Thanks, Ray.

The stems aren't as chunky as the polyacanthus that I have; triglochidiatus and coccineus are chunkier again, though it's always difficult knowing how representative my (small number of) plants are of the range of variation in a species. This plant is offsetting more than my polyacanthus. The limited amount of paler colouring in the flower throat was the main thing making me unsure of polyacanthus; having looked up acifer now, it does seem to fit much better with this.

Echinocereus acifer will fit better on the label than Echinocereus acifer or possibly acifer hybrid :smile:
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525