Rooting an Aloe

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Rooting an Aloe

Post by MikeT »

Flutterbbye wrote:It has grown off a few leafs/leaflets? As a new growth. I think I can take that little bunch (three little ones) and pull them away with as much root as possible then set it in whatever medium needed to encourage rooting.
The offset will grow much faster attached to the parent plant. I'd suggest leaving it to grow bigger before detaching.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

If you take the cutting off, the whole stem with several leaves that you show, then this should root nicely. However, Mike is right, it will probably grow and develop more quickly attached to the parent plant and you could do the cutting next year.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Flutterbbye
Branch: None

Post by Flutterbbye »

Thank you all!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I am a little discouraged but we had an incident at the flower show where a woman on a mobility scooter lost control and tipped over one of our tables full of sales plants. I rescued an Aloe 'Christmas Carol' and when I went to pot it up I found an entire leaf detached. Obviously the only thing to do is try to root it. I have it in Seramis and will keep my fingers crossed. It will take a while.
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.