English Weather

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: English Weather

Post by cactuspip »

I agreed to give a talk on Conophytums on 23rd August. (What was I thinking at the time?)

I usually take plants along, so I'm hoping my plants respond quickly to watering, otherwise I will have to use a computer presentation. I think people prefer plants to images.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all. I have a neglected Mamm. bombacinia which is over 18 inches dia and is so heavy I could not lift it. It has not been re potted for many many years(20) and the compost is rock hard. I do try to pour some water on it ,but 99% just runs away. It was only kept as it flowered every year without fail. I decided it was for the bin. With help, the plant was moved to outside ready to be disposed of. The next 24 hours were a continous downpour, so plant had a slight repreive from the bin Lol Yesterday I looked at the plant, and what a difference. The soil had loosened up allowing rain to get to the roots. The epidermis had turned green, and on the whole the plant looked fine. I have now decided to keep it, if I can find a bowl large enough to hold it. With all the nitrogen and other goodies in our good old British weather(rain) a nice plant has been saved to fight another day. Cheers
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I've been thinking about Conophytums too since it is a bit cooler now. I've done the Ophthalmophyllums but some have scorched. It will be interesting to see if any Conophytums fail to wake up since they've been in virtually identical conditions. Maybe this should be the week since there is no sign of a heatwave - if its good enough for Terry in Surrey then I'm sure I'll be fine here with a cold frame.
Cheshire, UK
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Mamm.bomb. before watering.
IMG_3270.JPG
IMG_3270.JPG (90.39 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
See self seeded Euphorbia obesa in front. My obesa plants are about 3ft away. LoL.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

What a super plant. I can't believe you were going to chuck it in the bin!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I think this year has been reasonably warm and reasonably dry but not especially sunny. I write having been chased inside by the rain! Maybe the plants will see it differently. There have been quite a lot of partly sunny days, not so many with unbroken sunshine, and perhaps that works out better.
Cheshire, UK
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

I made this post and since then it's rained almost every day.

When I came home from work today I went inside and immediately thought about putting the heating on. And it's the middle of August!

English weather :roll:
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by JaneO »

Gerald,
I'm not far from you and had identical inclination. High today was 14 degrees. It is supposed to be better tomorrow. Wettest July on record. Wonder if we get wettest August. Certainly hottest but coldest too?
Hate this unsettled weather.