English Weather

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

English Weather

Post by gerald »

I can't speak for 'up north' but here in Oxon we have had perfect weather so far this year. All my cactus are in top shape and several have flowered that have never done before. Many of them are flowering multiple times too. It's been the best growing weather for many years.
JaneO
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: English Weather

Post by JaneO »

You might be sorry you spoke out! Due for thunderstorms in Andover this evening/tomorrow. Not far from Oxford! We have recorded temperatures as high as 99 degrees and that's outside! We are in walled garden mind. Glad it's good growing for you. My grass(used to be a lawn) is bare and brown. ....Jane
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Yes, great growing weather for my plants too...but not for the lawn! At least the storms tonight will have refilled the water butts...
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

My plants are having a really good year too, I have flowers on ones that have never flowered for me before, I'm seeing very good growth and even have seed pods on one of my pachypodium- a first that I'm really pleased with.

I have also noticed lots of fluff developing on the ariocarpus who have all had a repot this year so maybe bumper flowers from them too.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I watered my conophytums a week or so ago when the temperature fell away from the highs that we were having and they have responded quickly with many breaking out of their old skins already. I think that night-time temperatures are quite important for this and it got down to the 12-15C range which is great for the conos. Flowering seems to be starting early too; late-summer bloomers such as some ecotypes of C. pellucidum and C. fraternum are in flower. My conos do have some shade for the summer but the greenhouses did get up to 43C earlier and I bet that these highs did some damage which will only be seen as the plants start to grow.
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

I was pleased to see your post, Terry.
I have been trying to make up my mind about watering my Conophytum collection for a few days. The post helped me to make my decision and I have just finished the job.
I have watered the trays of cuttings I took last Autumn several times and they are looking good now.
I have an aff. Francoiseae that is flowering from the 2 offsets, but not from the main head. The flowers are just like miniatures.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

After the amazing April and May, things dulled down a bit here and I was quite surprised to hear that there was a heatwave further south :eek:
Today I have decided to take advantage of the cold wet rain and have put the rest of my conos out for their first drench. One tray of plants was put out at the end of June. They have plumped up nicely and are peeping out, but most seem a little shy to throw off last season's garments completely.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Already watering your Conophytums? That's quite early. I will wait at least a month.
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Agreed we have had a very good year so far although it has meant watering the veg patch more than usual!
On the Cacti front the Tunillas have done particularly well with some budded up for a second wave of flowering which only seems to happen for me in years with above average sunshine.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Aiko wrote:Already watering your Conophytums? That's quite early. I will wait at least a month.
Nights are cool here and we are almost in August, so if they are ready they will wake up. From experience, I would expect. C.minusculum to sleep on for a while.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse