UID plant from garden centre

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

UID plant from garden centre

Post by cactusrogerUK »

Good evening.

I got this handsome brute from a nearby garden centre for less than a fiver. I just liked the rich colour of the body and those wonderful spines. Any suggestions for ID?

Plant in 11cm pot. Plant 12cm across, 14cm with spines. Plant 7cm high, 10cm with spines. Spines up to 4cm long, maybe potential to get much longer.
P1140274uidcactus.jpg
P1140273uidcactus.jpg
P1140272uid cactus.jpg
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: UID plant from garden centre

Post by DaveW »

May be a Melocactus, as yet not forming a cephalium?
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
cactusrogerUK
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by cactusrogerUK »

Oh yes - might well be. Thank you. I hadn't thought of that, not being a Melocactus enthusiast. I'll have to keep it warm then. I don't know why "bulk" growers of unnamed cacti bother with Melocactus, which many people will lose in the winter. Probably because they grow fast as seedlings in A+ conditions. I had four silly price Melos with cephalia from Aldi a few years back, and eventually lost all of them despite bringing them indoors for the winter. Had plenty of seed from them but haven't planted it.
PeterW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by PeterW »

One genus I can't begin to grow. My guys are outside all year, in cold frames in the winter. Frost-free but Melos quickly pop their clogs.
Bought my first cactus in 1957 - Now retired and growing Mexican desert cacti in the sun.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

When I grew them I had them in a propagator at a minimum of 15C. 10C might have done it but my experience is that they grow better a bit warmer.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Ospreywatcher »

I've had a Melocactus for a couple of years. Realising it does not conform to normal cactus rules I have kept it on the lounge windowsill above a radiator permanently. Never gets colder than 15 degrees C and I give it a squirt of water every few days to stop the roots drying out. Occasionally rewarded with tiny pink flowers emerging from the lovely ginger spines.
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I bring Melo's into the house over winter, but often loose them after putting them back in the greenhouse next year. I probably should keep watering and them growing all year, which seems to be the secret.

James can grow them like weeds since he moved from cold old UK to the warmer parts of the US many years ago. I tell him if he will pay for heating my UK greenhouse to those winter temperatures I will have a go at growing them! :grin:

See:-

https://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=33959
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

All of mine are on the kitchen windowsill all year long ( south facing, never goes below 16C). I find I can water them regularly all year round, and they keep growing, albeit more slowly in winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk