Haworthia flower spike plantlet

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
purzo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Haworthia flower spike plantlet

Post by purzo »

We have a flower spike on a Haworthia reinwardtii which has developed a plantlet. So, 2 questions...

1) Is there a best practice to ensure that this can be separated from the flower spike and grown on.

2) Is it possible to encourage this behaviour so that it is more than just a chance occurrence on future flowerings. Also what about Gasterias and Aloes?

Thanks for any advice.

Regards
Gary
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
admg26
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Re: Haworthia flower spike plantlet

Post by admg26 »

I have not had a plantlet on a flower spike but I would leave it to get as big as it can until the spike dies before potting it up.

On a side note, I have finally managed to propagate Haworthias from leaves pealed off from the base of the plant. I've seen other people be very successful with this and I've been told a bit of stem tissue need to be attached to the leaf for this to work.
Alison. Mostly interested in succulents. Always like a good Faucaria and outdoor Sedum. Currently gathering plants that could be confused with Pachyphytum oviferum. :)
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Thanks Alison, I'll give it a try but the plantlet is very small so I'm not sure if it will be viable on its own by the time the flower spike dies. I did manage to grow a H attenuata from a leaf pulling once and, as you said, having some stem tissue seemed to be the key. So far efforts with the only other Haworthia attempted (H truncata) have been unsuccessful.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

purzo wrote:.... the plantlet is very small so I'm not sure if it will be viable on its own by the time the flower spike dies. ....
You may well find that the flower spike will remain 'alive' for a long time. It knows there is a plantlet along it and the spike above it will wither away and dry up but the spike below it will remain to provide goodness to the small plant. Leave the plantlet there as long as possible would be my choice. Good luck! This has happened to me with a few haworthias over the years and very occasionally gasterias too.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

thanks Tony, that's encouraging. I'm guessing from your response that whether this happens is purely down to chance. Do know of any method or have any tips for increasing the frequency of getting these plantlets to appear?
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests