A hole in one...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

A hole in one...

Post by rodsmith »

...of my cacti! This split appeared in my Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus var. polaskii about 3 months ago, although it may have been there earlier without my noticing - hard to miss an enormous split in a small cactus, you may think. I don't know what caused it but I suspect it was over exuberant watering on my part early in the season. Despite the damage, which has completely calloused over, the plant continues to produce flowers regularly and is now showing signs of putting out an offset from the top of the plant. The plant has grown quite a lot since I noticed the damage and the split is much less noticeable now. When I first noticed it, the damaged area was about a third the size of the plant, now it is well under a fifth. I took these two photos today.
Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus var. polaskii
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: A hole in one...

Post by ragamala »

My first thought was mouse.... or bird maybe...
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I had one or two split this year and of all things a Selenicereus which split about 6 inches along the 3/4 inch diameter stems. I have never had Cerei split before. Whilst unsightly it never seems to kill the plant which continues to grow quite happily.

With plants like your Turbinicarpus the split eventually finishes down at the base in time and disappears.

As Ragamala says, that looks more like a hole than a split though.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Keith H »

My small Turbs are all looking a bit bloated this year despite me trying to hold back a bit on their water, fortunately I have not managed to split any of them.
I found it was the large Gymnos that seem to split very easily three years ago though it was their first growing season back in my care so I think I was pushing them a bit too much.
As others have said they will grow out eventually in the mean time enjoy the flowers.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

That looks like slug damage, Rod. Time for the blue pellets in a dish.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Yes I agree with Peter it doesn't look like a split with the shape of it and the edge makes me think slug
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks all for your thoughts. I hadn't considered a slug as a possible cause. I overwintered a couple of outdoor plants in pots in the conservatory with the cacti and a slug could well have come from one of them. I haven't noticed any other damage but will do as suggested and put down some little blue pellets.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.