Non-sphaeroid mesemb water requirments

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
N.D.
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Non-sphaeroid mesemb water requirments

Post by N.D. »

Hi mesemb-lovers. How much do you water your non-sphaeroid mesembs, such as Hereroa, Hallianthus, etc.? I find that they need a lot more water than Lithops do. I watered them about every 7-10 days, and they looked pretty sad: not growing, always fried up. I started to water them about every other day, and they are doing much better. I have been doing so for only a week, so it might just be a path to rot. They are in 3-inch clay pots, receiving direct sunlight 5hrs a day. How do you treat them?
Last edited by N.D. on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Non-sphaeroid mesemb water requirments

Post by BrianMc »

Perhaps plastic pots for these would be more appropriate. You would need to water less often. If your plants are looking happy I doubt that they will be going to rot soon.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Non-sphaeroid mesemb water requirments

Post by iann »

Wait until you grow some shrubby mesembs, then you'll see how much water a succulent can need. Mossia thrives on constant water, Frithia needs more than you might expect during its growing season, but the non-CAM ones like Delosperma should be treated more like tomatoes than cacti.

Try top-dressing as well as a non-porous pot. Water evaporates from a small pot very quickly, no point making it any quicker than absolutely necessary.
Cheshire, UK