Dioscorea elephantipes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
StephOx
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes

Post by StephOx »

Okay thanks, so when do they first go dormant? Time wise, so I don't think it's died completely and stop watering it or throw out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes

Post by Keith H »

StephOx wrote:Okay thanks, so when do they first go dormant? Time wise, so I don't think it's died completely and stop watering it or throw out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the same way that some start into growth much earlier than others, mine has flowered and almost stopped growing already, other plants may still be if full growth. All I can say is that mine seems to follow the same growth patten every year, even the year I brought it into the house to try to prolong the short growing season so I think it is a case of getting to know your plant.

As for stopping watering when dormant that is a must, you will easily see when the leaves start to dry out before the vine (s) die back.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554