Damage within a day

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Liz M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Damage within a day

Post by Liz M »

It's a wonderful plant and does you great credit that it is so big and healthy. You prove that outside is the best place for it in summer. I can't imagine what size pot you would put it in. Have you ever entered it into the National?
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Keith H »

We are going way off topic from the OP Liz but..
No I have not showed since my time in Hull Branch some thirty odd years ago, most of my plants I still class as being in 'rehab'. Perhaps one day some of them may get an outing to Bromley or Croydon but I think the National will be way out of my league for some time.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Craney85
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Craney85 »

No to worry think my question has been answered. Amazed no one has put the id of the plant in. Is it a. Nobilis? My plant will spend more time outside from now on
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

No-one asked :wink: It goes by a number of names. Aloe x nobilis is one, I think nowdays a few species and hybrids have been lumped into something called Aloe perfoliata Group.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Craney85 wrote:No to worry think my question has been answered. Amazed no one has put the id of the plant in. Is it a. Nobilis? My plant will spend more time outside from now on
Sorry I missed that you were looking for an ID. I think mine originally came to me as Aloe brevifolia in around 1980, though I would go with Paul's naming if I were you, identifying succulents has never been a strong point for me.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

What an interesting post. I also have a couple of these"not named" aloes. Kept in the greenhouse they are poor specimens, seem dried out, and scorch. Mine go outside in spring and flourish. When there is heavy rain or hale the plants go under a garden table ( thanks Liz, I learned that from your tip). Same principles go for a number of aloes. They scorch in the greenhouse and also suffer from my frugal watering there. Outside these plants need potting into larger pots every year and are wonderful.