Damage within a day

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Damage within a day

Post by Paul in Essex »

Perhaps something happened to the centre from which it recovered and grew out?

Love that red tint, Tina. Looks a picture of health.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Thanks Paul, it's Elizabeth. Thanks for showing your appreciation of my plant. I like to keep it outside so that it develops the red colour. I keep as much as possible outside in summer, as it improves their appearance no end. However the rain up here in the North-west means there is a lot of dodging in and out of the greenhouse when things get TOO wet. Being outside does seem to prevent scorch though.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Sorry. My eyes read Liz and my brains translated it Tina.

Unless you are both the same person trying to make me think I have gone mad?
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Paul, no we are different people. You're not going mad, yet!
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Craney85
BCSS Member
Branch: COVENTRY

Post by Craney85 »

I was watering it once a week maybe I need to water more often then. It seems like just random leaves died off it isn't damage that's grown out.
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

You can water these a lot during the growing season, that's the reason I keep mine outside. The colour improves as well and there is less fear of scorch.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Keith H »

Liz M wrote:You can water these a lot during the growing season, that's the reason I keep mine outside. The colour improves as well and there is less fear of scorch.
Same here, mine goes outside every spring when it colours up to a bright red after a month or so it is green again and has never scorched. It hardly ever gets watered relying on what ever falls out of the sky until it returns to the greenhouse just after the first frosts.
I am not sure it is enjoying the treatment because it has not flowered for me or perhaps it is still to small, I'll take a picture tomorrow.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Keith H
BCSS Member

Post by Keith H »

IMG_1874Aloe11200.jpg
IMG_1873Aloe111200.jpg
I don't have any pictures of it when it has coloured up in the spring, I must try to take some next year.
Looking closer some of the leaf tips have a bit of damage, spider webs and general detritus, if you looked even closer you would find all the snails that come out of it when it returns to the greenhouse in the Autumn.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Liz M
BCSS Member

Post by Liz M »

Hi Keith, that is immense! Mine used to be a bit like that, so I split it into easily managed pieces and managed to pass a lot on. I think I would take off the sticking up shoot. it re-roots pretty easily and it looks a good plant in its own right. After all this you should get some flowers. The plant suggests the compost is worn out. The rest you could split up if you wanted to and put into fresh compost.. Whatever you do it's a terrific plant and deserves the best care you give it.
Keith H
BCSS Member

Post by Keith H »

Hi Liz. It has been re potted twice in the last three years though previously I don't think it would have been re potted for quite some time, it was in a relatively small pot (150mm or so) the roots of the off sets completely hiding the pot. It was very spindly when it came back to me, at the time the decision was do I split it up or pot it up and hope it fills out? I chose the latter and it is filling out nicely.
Size is not really a problem as it spends it's summers outside, next move may well be into a spare ceramic tub, anyway if I need more space in the winter I should clear out some of the empty pots stored under the staging.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554