Damage within a day

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Craney85
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CRAWLEY

Damage within a day

Post by Craney85 »

Just wondering if this damage that happened in the course of a day while I was away was sunburn or something else?
Attachments
IMG_2678.JPG
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Damage within a day

Post by rodsmith »

It could well be sunburn.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by FaeLLe »

Slightly off topic but have you found these to be hardy? Wet over winter is okay?
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Doesn't look like he/she grows it outside......and I'd say for the damage to happen so fast it has to be scorch.......same as your skin would burn without protection.

You'll know by the end of winter next year if yours have survived or not. Where they are now, I'd bet not but maybe it depends how severe the winter is.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Craney85
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Craney85 »

Apparently they are hardy, never tried to grow one outside myself. Probably needs shelter and 99% grit soil
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

This one is moderately hardy, I would say. I lost it here in southeast Essex in the bad winter '09/10. So that would be at -8C. Had I covered it I think it would still be here.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Years ago I lifted a large Sorensia bruchii, from its shaded position to the floor where the sun shone through the open door. Three hours later it was replaced to its original position.
Weeks later the side of the plant was showing signs of sun burn from which it never recovered. Yes it can happen very quickly. Cheers
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I can't say much about the marking on the leaves, they look dried out, which is a form of scorch, I suppose. However, last year I read about how hardy these Aloes are so tried out one in the greenhouse and one outside but under the patio table, along with several other experiments. It was a mild winter, with minimal frost and that would have had a real impact on all the plants. In fact they all sailed through with barely a scratch and some of the time driving rain would get into some of the pots and definitely the Aloe. It proved to me that you could leave it outside albeit under protection, which did not have to be very weathertight, at least in a mild winter. I would add that the two that I have have been outside most of the year now and look fresh and healthy. Here's a picture
IMG_6644.1.jpg
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

It's quite uneven damage for scorch: I'd expect it to be more on one side.
P8100060.JPG
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I was thinking the same Phil and its odd that all the affected leaves are on one 'layer' - neither the oldest ones nor the newest ones.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch