Printing e-journals

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Printing e-journals

Post by Phil_SK »

I know that forum moderators are hard to come by but I'm still take aback by all your efforts to help avoid my imminent incarceration. To be clear, I'm not proposing to do anything other than what's described as "Acts permitted" under ss28 and 29 of the Act. However, if there is anybody out there who has done this - it doesn't look like there is, though - I can understand that you might prefer to contact me by PM to discuss your perfectly law-abiding actions rather than post about them here. :cac3:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I haven't printed any of the journals I bought a cheap tablet and memory card just to download all the cactus journals and other interesting stuff and I have loads on the memory card
And to help with the don't do it problem here is what Graham has in the cactus explorer
©The Cactus Explorer may be freely distributed whilst the copyright of the text and pictures remains with the authors and photographers. Permission is required for any use other than reading, printing or storage.
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

I remember John Cox told me he had printed all the cactus explorers journals and had put them in some binders and he was happy with the print quality
If you email Graham I'm sure he would be able to tell you what the print quality would be like and Eduart might be able to do the same
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Alexander
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Alexander »

If you don't mind the cost you could also have the journals (or a collection of articles) printed as a photo book - looks great and you get a hardcover book. With most of these services you can upload PDF files.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

DaveW wrote:I have seen it work Ragamala.
Thanks for not jumping off the handle as I did, Dave.

As an author myself (as is my wife) I am aware of the difficulties people face over copyright. For me the situation is entirely different if I retain copyright in a book title which is only available for purchase, and allow other books (my non-fiction) to be available for free. Not specifying those as being in the public domain I still retain copyright. All I hope is that if extracted or "republished" I am quoted as originator of the material and the material should not be edited. But at the end of the day if I offer for free for altruistic reasons I am not going to get too upset, indeed I am grateful for further dissemination. There is no financial loss to me there.

I take an opposite view when it comes to material which is in print and is pirated and offered for free. My particular interest is Indian Classsical music, and I know how much pirating has damaged the ability of small independent record companies to issue material of historical importance (often at a cost of acquiring distribution rights) to make such material available.

I have, though, to face the fact that widespread and international pirating is commonplace. That is the new world the internet has brought about. I shed no tears for the big recording companies. They made a fortune out of me from my purchases as a teenager and later, selling overpriced product. They will have to reap the whirlwind and adjust their business practices.

I do have sympathy with those who struggle against widespread copyright breach which affects their livelihoods. But frankly I just thought talk of imprisonment and the rest was just a little silly when looking at the situation described in the OP.