Dual form Opuntia

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Dual form Opuntia

Post by Phil Hocking »

My friend grew some cacti from mixed seed many years ago. One of them turned out to be something like Cylindropuntia vestita. Today he showed me something quite interesting that has happened to it. It is growing classic Opuntia pads at the ends of the hairy cylindrical arms. For some reason I can't get the photo to load.
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Dual form Opuntia

Post by Phil_SK »

Most of the Opuntioideae have seedlings that look different to the adults, cylindrical, more bristly in most cases. There is a plant that is usually known by the dubious name Opuntia orbiculata that has very fluffy stems and remains juvenile for ages, almost indefinitely.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

They must be ten years old but yes, could well be O orbiculata. Pity I couldn't add a photo. I tried pasting between the two imgs but nothing happened.
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

Let's try posting the photo again
Paul's cactus_1a.jpg
Paul's cactus_1a.jpg (251.32 KiB) Viewed 1986 times