Mammillaria tetrancistra

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria tetrancistra

Post by iann »

This is the most prolific plant, on its 7th flower of the year now.
tetrancistra-0808.jpg
There is a lot of variation in this species. This one flowers much less, is paler pink, and has longer flowers. It also has longer spines and more of them are hooked.
tetrancistra-0814.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Re: Mammillaria tetrancistra

Post by Ali Baba »

Sadly I've only had one flower so far and it opened (and closed) whilst I was on holiday abroad :cry:

Is the prolific flowering one from a particular source?
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

Beautiful spines on the second plant, but likely a nightmare to move around or repot...
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Those hooked spines are the longest I've seen, I think.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Both are from Mesa Garden seed. The one with lots of flowers is from Scissors Crossing and the one with long spines is from 29 Palms. Both are in California although not exactly side by side.
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks that's interesting, mine is from Mesa, Scissors Crossing. Lots of buds but hardly ever an open flower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Looking more closely at your photos, my plants look more like the pale flowered one, spinewise. Perhaps Mesa mixed my packets up!
Do you water them much? I find them a bit fickle, I potted on a bunch of 5 seedlings last year into a slightly bigger pot ( they were in the original seed pot) and my reward was 3 of the 5 died despite potting all together with minimal root disturbance [emoji53]

iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I just went out to double-check my labels and your diagnosis was correct. The one with lots of flowers is from 29 Palms.

Anyway, M. tetrancistra needs special treatment compared to most Mamillarias. It is particular allergic to water in late spring and early summer. This is the dry (and hot) season over much of its range, and certainly where these two come from. It takes up water prolifically in late winter and early spring. Watering too long into the heat of late spring is fatal, and possibly just having it enter the hot season too fat from early water may be fatal. I find the Scissors Crossing form (the one you have?) is particularly prone to over-expanding, then it will become paler and if you don't take the hint it will be dead soon after. The 29 Palms plant is in a bigger pot but seems to stay more compact - maybe it has slightly different soil.

What works for me is to leave them completely dry from mid-to-late May until August. They sometimes set buds but these won't open until they get water. I've known people that get spring flowers so maybe a slightly different regime will bring out a first flush, but I haven't pushed my luck. I had a lot of seedlings a few years ago and many were killed by trying to water in the danger period. Then they get a splash or two in August but not generous watering, and this should cause the flowers to open. They get more water once it cools down in September or October.
Cheshire, UK
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Well done, iann, great plants!
I used to grow these in my early days as a mammillaria enthusiast. I gave up after several attempts and much dying.
Your regime makes great sense, perhaps I will try again one day.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Mammillaria tetrancistra

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks Ian I suspect your diagnosis is correct, I have tended to water when it is hot [emoji15]I will adopt your watering regime forthwith! I 'll look out for the 29 Palms on Mesa's list too