Seconds out, round 2

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Seconds out, round 2

Post by rodsmith »

iann wrote: L. gesinae I might put on a list of early starters, but not this early!
Yes, one of my L. gesinae ssp annae plants is showing the first sign of a bud and is the first of my lithops to do so this year. It has started budding in late July and early September in previous years so is definitely one of the early starters. This particular plant was numbered MSG2690 when I bought it several years ago but I can find no record of this number. I know that MSG stands for Mesembryanthemum Study Group. It may be that the number has been incorrectly copied at some time in the past.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
jpp13
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by jpp13 »

rodsmith wrote:
This particular plant was numbered MSG2690 when I bought it several years ago but I can find no record of this number.
Hi Rod,

MSG # 2960 = "Lithops gesinae v. annae ex-C78 (25km SW Helmeringhausen), reddish-brown bodies" on the 2012 list in MSG Bulletin volume 27, number 1, 2012, page 8

Here are mine, sown in 2012. They are very small, in a 5 x 5 cm pot !

They never flowered. Perhaps this year ... :wink:

Jean-Pierre
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, Jean-Pierre. At some stage the numbers 9 and 6 must have been transposed. I also have C078 so the two could be from the same original parents. Here is my MSG 2960 in bloom last August (it was even earlier last year, first opening on 17 August!).
Lithops gesinae v. annae MSG2690 17 August 2016 (0820).JPG
Lithops gesinae v. annae MSG2690 17 August 2016 (1815).JPG
Lithops gesinae v. annae MSG2690 22 August 2016.jpg
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
jpp13
BCSS Member

Post by jpp13 »

Nice plant Rod (tu)

Yours is typical of the variety but the 2 mine not at all yet ...

I have a other, photos of last year :

August 9th

August 12th

August 14th

Jean-Pierre
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Thanks for sharing, Jean-Pierre. August seems to be the favoured month.
Rod Smith

Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Sorry No photo's of 'Talisman' at the moment Jean-Pierre, we will try to take some in the next couple of days.

Today we had the first white of the year on L.karasmontana opalina, will maybe add that to the list to photograph as I think it is the first time it has flowered.
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
jpp13
BCSS Member

Post by jpp13 »

Rob wrote: Today we had the first white of the year on L.karasmontana opalina, will maybe add that to the list to photograph as I think it is the first time it has flowered.
Hi Rob,

No white flower here in Marseille, but yestrday, the first South Africain Lithops that tries to open its flower

Jean-Pierre
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

The first lithops flowers of the year should open in the next few days here (all pseudotruncatella so far). One is a tiny "alpina" barely more than a cm across, something I wouldn't have expected from a pseudotruncatella. Steve Hammer does mention that alpina tends to be pretty small, but I had no idea how small 'small' actually is.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

L. pseudotruncatella "Alpina" can be small-ish but it doesn't compare with the really small species. It can also be equally as large as any other L. pseudotruncatella var pseudotruncatella. Yours is maybe a seedling. Or maybe worth propagating as a dwarf form ;)
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Looks like the flowers on ssp archerae are long gone. Interesting to see 8 locules on both heads, there have only been 6 or 7 in previous years.
archerae-0816.jpg
Cheshire, UK