Wisley threatened

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Wisley threatened

Post by Chris43 »

This might have got visibility previously, but as an RHS member - and the Society is Affiliated - I thought members should be aware of the threat that the RHS perceive from proposed widening of the A3.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/A ... m-A3-plans
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Wisley threatened

Post by cactuspip »

Yet another example of putting the great god, the motor car, before our national treasures and environment.
The biggest threats to our planet are human greed and selfishness! We should all sign this petition.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

The petition was doing the rounds on some of the gardening and allotment sites on Facebook. Please sign it if you haven't already.
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I saw this in the news last week and wondered why I was being directed to a petition rather than the consultation but it seems that the consultation ended in February. I don't understand why they weren't wheeling out the headline-grabbers back in the winter to try to influence things then - why wait until just before the decision is announced? :S
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

Have you seen the size of the car park at Wisley?! Could it be that their heavy traffic helps to make the junction which is planned to be upgraded one of the most accident prone in the country? So maybe it isn't quite as clear cut and the headlines made out.

Keith
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Don't know, Phil, and don't know, Keith.

But.....I think that Wisley are trying to influence the decision, which isn't yet made, as far as I am aware. There are several options and only one impacts Wisley in terms of loss of land and trees.

I have often seen the car park, and access isn't great when leaving. One could asks why is there a layby and couldn't a better exit from Wisley onto the A3 be fashioned somehow - probably, but I don't think that cars leaving Wisley under normal circumstances is the main cause of a high accident rate, not when you see the speed at which cars go along that stretch, and then cut over into lane, too late.

But, just read the documentation and make your mind up. My purpose wasn't to start a debate here, its a personal decision to sign a petition.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

The consultation that took place in Dec/Jan was to gain comment on Options 9 and 14 for the roundabout/intersection of the A3/M25. It did not cover the 'preferred' option for access to Wisley.
There will be a further public consultation once the decision for this intersection is announced later this year.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)