Bradleya 35 (2017)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Bradleya 35 (2017)

Post by Phil_SK »

My Bradleya arrived today! The front cover carries a photo of a plant that seems to have been mocked up from an Orecereus x Cleistocactus hybrid with a small ball of wool glued on top and a dandelion flower on top of that, only on reading the caption I learn that it's actally Cremnocereus albipilosus. There's a huge, lichen-encrusted Crassula ovata on the back, photographed by Derek Tribble.
At 256 pages/27 articles, it's the biggest edition there's been, apparently. There are 11 Crassulaceae articles, including 4 on Kalanchoe one of which features a new species from Limpopo, RSA and another a new Tylecodon from Namaqualand by DT. Articles on a Tulista, three newly described Astroloba (2x sp. + 1x var.) and xAstrolista serve for the Asphodelaceae, as do articles on Lithops, Roosia, two on Conophytum (one has a new variety from Messrs Young and Rodgerson) for the Aizoaceae. Foreign imposter cacti feature in a Canary Island article and there are two featuring Rhipsalis and Cremnocereus right at the back.
Looks like it'll keep me occupied for quite a while!
If you didn't tick the box when you renewed, it's available via http://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/bradleya.html .
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Bradleya 35 (2017)

Post by Aiko »

How is the new Tylecodon named?
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

While I can take credit for being the first to observe that the cryptic Tylecodon celatus (Latin = hidden, concealed) is distinct, this new name is co-authored with Ernst van Jaarsveld. It has little horticultural appeal, being a small stick in a 5 cm. pot! But the small yellow flowers are like T. reticulatus and this adds to the interesting mosaic of characters within the genus.

Dr Ernst van Jaarsveld is coming to the UK again soon in October to speak at our BCSS Zone 6 Convention just north of London. He has contributed many papers in this latest Bradleya about new plant discoveries. Having left Kirstenbosch to build up the gardens at the Babylonstoren resort, he has been able to continue his exploration work and has just returned from a trip to Namaqualand, investigating Tylecodon distributions in more detail. Come and hear him yourself - tickets are now on sale: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=166083

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Zone 6 Convention Organiser
Asclepiad Stevo
Registered Guest
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Asclepiad Stevo »

To discover a new species is fantastic. To discover a new genus is incredible. I have mixed feelings about it. This is obviously not a prolific or widespread species. I fear that it is destined for the "prized" collections of the wealthy posers who care nowt for this gem. I pray that the location stays secret. My bet, however is that most of it will be dug up and on the Chinese markets within the year.