When to stop feeding

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
simpleton
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

When to stop feeding

Post by simpleton »

I feed my cacti with seaweed feed every couple of weeks, but I wonder when the best time to stop is. Have you already stopped feeding your cacti, or if not, when do you intend to stop for the winter ?
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: When to stop feeding

Post by Keith H »

I suppose it depends where you live, your location says France which could be Cannes / St. Tropez, Chamonix or on the Belgium border all of which would require very different watering regimes. If you are in Paris which is very much like London, perhaps a couple of degrees warmer I would say reduce the frequency of watering but unless it is exceptionally cold and wet I still expect to water my general cactus collection (in a greenhouse kept just frost free) one more time in September and perhaps a very light watering at the begin of October.
Some plants need a little more water during the winter to prevent drying out too much whilst others like autumn / spring growers will need to be watered later and or earlier.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
simpleton
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by simpleton »

Thanks for the response. I'm in South West France with a climate similar to Bordeaux - so there is the influence of the Atlantic and it's not a Mediterranean climate.

When you say "water" do you also mean "feed" ?
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

simpleton wrote:Thanks for the response. I'm in South West France with a climate similar to Bordeaux - so there is the influence of the Atlantic and it's not a Mediterranean climate.

When you say "water" do you also mean "feed" ?
Sorry, I tend to feed every other water, previously dilute Phostrogen but I have just bought some Chempak 8 which I will probably use for the first time next weekend, depending on the weather.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Unless you have a pure mineral mix I would not feed from September onwards!