Starting young

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Starting young

Post by rodsmith »

I've grown a small number of Conophytum pellucidum SH2796 from seeds that I sowed in February 2015 (BCSS seed). One of the seedlings is showing a bud which has surprised and delighted me.
Conophytum pellucidum SH2796 bud 11 Sept 2017 (1).JPG
Conophytum pellucidum SH2796 bud 11 Sept 2017 (2).JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Mafate79
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Starting young

Post by Mafate79 »

Hi Rod,

Well done! (tu) I think that I bought this one last week-end at the ELK, I'll check tonight if my field number matches with yours. How large is the flowering plant?

Sincerely.

Sylvain
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Mafate79 wrote:...How large is the flowering plant?...
Sylvain
Thanks for your comment, Sylvain. It measures 14mm across the top at its widest.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Well done Rod, lovely looking plants, can you tell me what Winter temps they have gone through. Cheers
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by daniel82 »

I have some conophytum pellucidum terricolor plants that were sown beginning of this year and one has produced a flower today. Completely took me by surprise.
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Eric Williams wrote:Well done Rod, lovely looking plants, can you tell me what Winter temps they have gone through. Cheers
Yes Eric. The temperature dropped to around 3 deg C in the conservatory on a few occasions last winter but overall it was quite a mild one here.
daniel82 wrote:I have some conophytum pellucidum terricolor plants that were sown beginning of this year and one has produced a flower today. Completely took me by surprise.
That's amazing Daniel. You must have treated them well.
Rod Smith

Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

Hi Rod,

I have checked my field number and it is SH2496, not SH2796. Are you sure about yours? Some SH2496 seeds were distributed by the MSG in the past (numbers 1514, 1619 and 2345, from Omega farm) and they were said from green mother or green parents. Your plants seem to fit with this.

Please note that all the SH2496 are not green plants.

Regards.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks for the info Rod. Cheers
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Mafate79 wrote:Hi Rod,

I have checked my field number and it is SH2496, not SH2796. Are you sure about yours? Some SH2496 seeds were distributed by the MSG in the past (numbers 1514, 1619 and 2345, from Omega farm) and they were said from green mother or green parents. Your plants seem to fit with this.

Please note that all the SH2496 are not green plants.

Regards.
I'm a bit confused, Sylvain. You've stated above that some SH2496 seeds were said to be from green mother or parents but you go on to state that all the SH2496 are not green plants. Do you mean that SH2796 are not green plants? Since I sowed the seeds in 2015 we have had two house moves, so the original BCSS seed list has been disposed of. However, my computer record of seeds sown that year definitely shows SH2796. It is quite possible that the number has been misread or mis-typed.
Rod Smith

Mafate79
Registered Guest

Post by Mafate79 »

Hi Rod,

I don't say that SH 2796 are not green plants, I only say that SH 2496, which is a field number very close to yours, can concern green plants. I think that green-bodied pellucidum are quite rare, so that's why I was wondering if your field number was correct or mis-typed.

Moreover, I tried to google "Conophytum pellucidum SH 2796" and nothing appeared, except your messages. :wink: It works better with "SH 2496".

Finally, I say that "SH 2496 can concern green" plants because it seems that all the SH 2496 seeds don't give systematically green plants. Please, have a look at those references from the past MSG seed lists:

1513 - Conophytum pellucidum SH 2496 (Omega), small with pardicolor tendencies
1514 - Conophytum pellucidum SH 2496 (Omega), from green albino mother
1619 - Conophytum pellucidum SH 2496 (Omega farm), from albino mother (you can see one here)
2345 - Conophytum pellucidum SH 2496 (Omega farm), seed from green-bodied parents
2437 - Conophytum pellucidum SH 2496 (Omega farm), dark windows

When I read the comments, it seems that 1513 and 2437 are from normal parents and so will give brownish plants, that 1514 and 1619 are from a normal father and an albino mother (so may give normal or albino plants depending of the father parents) and that finally 2345 is from green-bodied parents and so will give only green plants.

But I am not sure, these are only assumptions. :wink: Maybe somebody else can confirm?