Double Heads, Double Flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Double Heads, Double Flowers

Post by iann »

Lithops amicorum tends to be the first white flower here also.
amicorum-0924.jpg
With one or two interesting exceptions.
witblom-0924.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Ivan
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Ivan »

As long as the sun shines, this could very well go into winter... :smile:
Lithops karasmontana subsp. karasmontana 'Mickbergensis' C168
Lithops karasmontana subsp. karasmontana 'Mickbergensis' C168
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Our weather here has been fantastic...
Lithops karasmontana ssp. bella
Lithops karasmontana ssp. bella
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Pretty poor weather here, but still lots of flowers. I think once a Lithops gets sufficient sun during summer, then it is going to flower come what may. A bit of sun is a nice bonus though :cool:

I'm finally moving on with some white flowers here. Saw the first L. optica flower today. Lots of late yellows too, L. naureeniae, L. dinteri, my big L. hookeri that is always late. Even a sneaky "L. optica with a yellow flower", really L. herrei "Translucens".
Cheshire, UK
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

I only have a couple of buds still to open but I have been surprised by new ones popping up so I'm sure they are not done yet. We are having some good needed showers as of yesterday and I've let them have a really good drenching for the last 12-14 hours. They looked like they needed it. I'll have you know I haven't killed any of the ones I got from you and I have noticed now that the sun is not as intense the beautiful true colours are showing. I really enjoying them.

I'm trying my hand at growing some Conos right now as well but it may be a struggle. I planted 20 seeds per pot and within 3 days I had between 5 to 12 come up in some pots. But looking at them now I see a lot have disappeared. OH, MAN! I have a lot better luck with the baggie method on Lithops and cacti. :???:
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I kill some Lithops pretty much every year. Or something kills them for me; I don't actually go out there and stab them to death.

Conophytums aren't generally hard from seed. Maybe you overheated them?
Cheshire, UK
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

Ivan, did you take them out of the bag when you had 5 to 12 germinate? If you didn't, this may be why they dissapeared, they do need ventilation even at this early stage.
I also have some Lithops die each year, I have a suspicion, that a Lithops main aim in life is to die :mrgreen:
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

iann wrote:Conophytums aren't generally hard from seed. Maybe you overheated them?
They may have had a bit more heat than desired, yes. I tried to give them plenty of light and they did have very little direct sun exposure.
AllanA wrote:Ivan, did you take them out of the bag when you had 5 to 12 germinate? If you didn't, this may be why they dissapeared, they do need ventilation even at this early stage.
I generally like leaving seeds in baggies a lot longer, but I did open the baggies after seeing the germination. Unfortunately it was shortly after that they started disappearing. There are still some seeds in the pots that haven't germinated and I'm feeling I should close the baggies and see what happens. I wish I had an endless supply so I can experiment. :???:

Dispite some of the Lithops having 'pimples', they are doing quite well and I am getting seeds from my plants to experiment with. But I have a feeling it will take 5-7 years before I see results. They take their time growing up. :wink:
Ivan
Registered Guest

Lithops Flowers 2017

Post by Ivan »

iann wrote:Pretty poor weather here, but still lots of flowers ... finally moving on with some white flowers ... Lots of late yellows too ...
Our weather has finally turned as well. Maybe not enough to say good-bye to the flowers, just yet. :smile:
I'd like to add a bit of copper to that mix.
Lithops comptonii
Lithops comptonii
Lithops verruculosa var. glabra C160
Lithops verruculosa var. glabra C160
Tiny flower but still quite nice. No scent, though.
pvdw
Registered Guest

Post by pvdw »

Stunning post. I love every pick!! :grin: