Can some help me ID this damage please  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Can some help me ID this damage please

Post by FaeLLe »

So I bought this cactus off someone in UK on eBay and or has all these weird markings on the leaves.

What could be causing it please; they are brown, hard and does not come off like scale.

Is it safe to take off quarantine and put it with the other plants please?
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2898.JPG
Torbjorn
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Can some help me ID this damage please  Solved

Post by Torbjorn »

The plant is Leuchtenbergia principis. I believe your plant has dried tubercles from lack of water. It has most likely been growing with too little water. Assuming a free draining substrate it can be watered haevily through the growing season. I water my Leuchtenberigias every week.
Torbjorn
Torbjörn
Stockholm, Sweden
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Can some help me ID this damage please

Post by Phil_SK »

The oldest ones do that with age, unavoidably.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
jhb
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jhb »

I have this plant & mine is quite a few years old now. I find that here in the U.K. It likes plenty of water in the summer & a little in the winter. Mine did very well a few years ago in a show & beat the plant of a very good grower. He was a little miffed, I was extremely happy.
Jayne H.B.
Growing Mamms, Turbs, Ario`s & a bit of most genera in darkest North Devon. Love Lithops too.Now getting hooked on Haworthia`s & Cono`s.
FaeLLe
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by FaeLLe »

Thanks guys I have decided to put it in with the rest of my collection. But it aborted he flower buds unfortunately after being kept in shade for a few days.