Amazing water free Succulent collection

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Amazing water free Succulent collection

Post by DaveW »

I believe they were working on plastic eating bugs to get rid of it in landfill plastic, so no doubt plastic eating mealies will appear soon if the plastic cacti trend takes off.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... illars-bee

At the Cactus Explorers Weekend we were shown glass sculptures introduced into a botanical garden. Personally I think a botanical garden is for plants, how many real plants would you see in a glass sculpture exhibition?

https://www.tripsavvy.com/dale-chihulys ... rt-4051683
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Knowing me I'd still manage to rot them :lol:
Greg
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

I wonder how well these will do in intense sunlight and heat of a greenhouse during a few years. I fear most of them will have turned into a pastel colour...
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Aiko wrote:I wonder how well these will do in intense sunlight and heat of a greenhouse during a few years. I fear most of them will have turned into a pastel colour...
It's called variegation and much prized.

For some unaccountable reason.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

ragamala wrote:
Aiko wrote:I wonder how well these will do in intense sunlight and heat of a greenhouse during a few years. I fear most of them will have turned into a pastel colour...
t

The variegation or pallid form will be much prized.

For some unaccountable reason.
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Not all art is made for the bourgeoisie these days, as in the past, and it can sometimes be very ephemeral, You can blink and miss it, or have your eyes wide open, and miss it. It often really resonates with people, and we are all just people, and most of us are struggling with the disastrous Keynes capitalist doctrine that the consistanly ridiculous governments we are confronted with, are still glued to for their own personal benefit.

N.D. posted modern art is junk, fine, tell me about your love of Giotto, Rembrandt, Heironymus Bosch, Van Dyke, Peter Breughel the elder, Carravgio .... the list goes on, did art stop then ?

Everything we do is essentially junk, but some folks have imagination, talent, and try to make a difference, and share it
pauco
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by pauco »

Nice thought :lol: Now back to the real world :cool: