Lithops bracts

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

Lithops bracts

Post by D^L »

I have seen a few comments about the organs we think of as conventional leaves in Lithops, potentially being bracts. iann offered some comments about this noting that Lithops have no other bracts and that mature leaves are somewhat different to immature ones, perhaps suggesting a change in structure as they get older. He also suggested, I think that there was some work studying this. Does anyone (iann? or anyone else :smile: ) know about this work or have a name of the worker or reference to it? My few minutes on google weren't very productive!

Thanks
David Lambie
Bristol
Terry S.

Re: Lithops bracts

Post by Terry S. »

Hartmann in her Glottiphyllum monograph in Bradleya 11 showed that true leaves were only present in seedlings and that all of the adult "leaves" were in fact bracts. I have no idea what the situation is with Lithops but there is obviously precedent for the suggestion.
D^L
BCSS Member

Post by D^L »

Very interesting, Terry, I don't remember that. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll have a read. Anyone got anything Lithops specific?
Cheers
David
rthr
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by rthr »

Hi David,

Don Smith wrote about 'Lithops Leaf Bracts' in the Mesemb Study Group Bulletin Vol 31 No 3 (2016). He mentions it having been a theory of Heidi Hartmann.

Catherine
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I corresponding with Heidi Hartmann about this. She was looking into it (and many other things!) after her studies on Glottiphyllum, but I don't think she ever put anything into print.
Cheshire, UK
D^L
BCSS Member

Post by D^L »

Thanks iann and Catherine for your helpful replies.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol