Crassula sarcocaulis - or not

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Crassula sarcocaulis - or not

Post by MikeT »

Larger plants than I've seen, but certainly look like sarcocaulis. Thanks for following this up, Jim.

Does anyone know of a source of Crassula sarcocaulis with documented habitat data?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

MikeT wrote:Larger plants than I've seen, but certainly look like sarcocaulis.
Not the best pictures but I can see pairs of leaves and I did have a plant that size before the severe frost a few years ago but my plant had the more usual red/pink flowers but the Huntington plant appears to have white flowers which some of my undocumented plants have.

I wonder how many plants there are now with the wrong ISI label :?: I must admit that when I saw the plant on the sales bench I thought it was Sedum frutescens as it was on my "wanted list" and it was only when I picked the plant up I saw the label - I liked the look of the plant so I bought it but kept it in my heated greenhouse as I had doubts as to its hardiness. Now I will have to find it a sunnier spot and a second label and I might even re-pot it as it is still in the original pot.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I have a white flowered sarcocaulis which came from Ray Stephenson a few years ago. He gave a warning that it isn't as hardy as the pink/red flowered form. Because of this, I've grown it in a pot rather than free root run in the garden. It seems quite a bit slower in growth compared to the usual form, even compared to pot grown plants.

I wonder if the HBG plant flowers are quite as white as they look; some of the stems and leaves look white, by virtue of photographing it in direct sunlight.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Not much detail to "recover" in the HBG photo but tried a few adjustments and the flowers still seem to be white
IMG_0618j.jpg
These are flowers on two of my plants earlier this year, both plants where outside all Winter
web-2497.jpg
web-2494.jpg
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Thanks to MikeT and ChrisR I now have a new plant for my old label, I might have to remove the "bark peels" that was added to the original Huntington label...
web-2844.jpg