Crassula sarcocaulis - or not

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Crassula sarcocaulis - or not

Post by MikeT »

Liz M wrote:not all the leaves have a central groove, just most of them. The older, outer leaves seem to lose it, presumably they drop off first. The newest ones don't have a groove, either
That's much the same
Liz M wrote:Looking at yours, I would say it is the same as mine and I have no doubts that the large old one and the one originally called Crassula sarcocaulis are identical, they certainly look it
I agree
Liz M wrote: I would suggest that yours has been grown in a greenhouse, as it is paler than mine
Misleading, Liz, I think it's just the photo making the green look paler than it is. The plant's been outside all summer, hence the red tinge on many of the eaves
A new label with 'Sedum frutescens' seems in order.
topsy wrote:Questions: Has it flowered and if so what are they like, what colour are they?

Is the plant quite brittle, do small bits break off very easily?
Mine's never flowered, which I would expect Crassula sarcocaulis to do at this size. The stems are brittle, in that it doesn't take a lot to break one off, but not as brittle as C. sarcocaulis which sheds bits quite easily, most of which then root. I find sarcocaulis hardy in Sheffield; even in the severe winter of 2010, although some plants died, others survived. They didn't like loads of snow falling onto them off the greenhouse roof. I've never noticed any scent/smell with sarcocaulis flowers, but as they're in the garden, it would be easy to miss.
Has your frutescens flowered, Suzanne? If so, what size? As mine's in a pot, it's never going to get to full size.
Ray Stephenson's Sedum book suggests that frutescens cuttings are hard to root; have you found that? Cuttings from the plant I have seem to root easily enough; maybe that will change if the label reads Sedum frutescens instead of Crassula sarcocaulis.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Mike, Sorry if I misinterpreted your photo, maybe it was taken with flash. I could see that it was red on the ends but it appeared such a light green. I find my Sedum frutescens pieces that break off so easily, root incredibly easily. I have about ten small plants at the moment. The bark on mine peels off constantly. I have not noticed flowers on mine. What do you have to do to make it flower I wonder? I hope our exchange has been some help to you. Until someone steps in with an entirely new name.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi Mike & Liz,

I have had my Sedum since it was quite a large plant, it is now approx 4 foot tall. I have never had any problems flowering it, they are white and small and tend to come from the ends of the parts which are growing strongly. It really does need a large pot in order to grow well and hence to flower. It needs plenty of water, but then if it is outside as soon as there is no danger of a frost this will not be a problem. It flowers earlier in the year, around May time.

The Crassula really does stink and I always have to have it outside because of that and still it is so detectable. I did have it planted on the rockery for a couple of years and even then it was very pongy. Had to rescue the plant from the rockery as the very wet winters were threatening to kill it off. I do find that the white flowered form is less robust. I also do not have bits breaking off the Crassula as they do with the Sedum. I think in the case of both plants it is a matter of giving them plenty of water and potting on regularly.

Have you ever tried writing on the papery bark of the Sedum?

Suzanne Mace
kohinoor
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by kohinoor »

Ladies and gentlemen there is a possibility have't be proposed.

What if it is an unpublished new species ?

It's not the first time enthusiast have plant before the official Taxation study publish.
like Dorstenia horwoodii Pachypodium eburneum

There is even a plant right now have no name !

Didierea sp nova
https://www.out-of-africa-plants.com/pr ... f-trollii/

i know i am not helping. XD
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

I do not think that the ISI through Huntington Botanical Gardens would distribute a plant which had not been described, it would be against their remit.

Suzanne Mace
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

topsy wrote:I do not think that the ISI through Huntington Botanical Gardens would distribute a plant which had not been described, it would be against their remit.

Suzanne Mace

Looking through the corrections http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/ ... tions.html they do seem to distribute plants without complete names as well as wrong ones
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Ray Stephenson has confirmed that it's Sedum frutescens. He thinks it's big enough to flower next year - but that might be ignoring my cultivation techniques. I'll post a photo if it does manage to flower.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Looking through the corrections http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/ ... tions.html they do seem to distribute plants without complete names as well as wrong ones
Someone should tell them to add this one to the list :lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

ChrisR wrote:
Jim_Mercer wrote: Looking through the corrections http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/ ... tions.html they do seem to distribute plants without complete names as well as wrong ones
Someone should tell them to add this one to the list
I have sent them an Email with a link to this thread but had no reply so far
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Now had a reply from John Trager at Huntington which includes a picture of the plant with flowers
Hi Jim,

In response to your question about the true ISI 99-41, I located the original plants in our nursery and attach a couple of pictures here. It appears that there was a label switch at some point to Sedum frutescens, the plant illustrated in your BCSS discussion group.

All the best, John

John N. Trager
Curator of Desert Collections
Huntington Botanical Gardens
IMG_0616.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0620.jpg