short notice Mexico trip

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
trevorwray
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

short notice Mexico trip

Post by trevorwray »

My potential companions on a field trip to Mexico have fallen by the wayside for medical reasons. (I hope it wasnt me). I am seeking one or maybe two people to join me the last two weeks of October to look for Ariocarpus in flower.This date is slightly flexible. (Say 10 to 14 days between 15th and 1st November) The sites are known and often have other exciting cacti.I will also not be driving past any interesting other cactus locations that I know.There will not be any risky places or bad roads. We will keep to tarmac or good graded roads.

Patience, reasonable health and a sense of humour are essential. Useful would be some map reading skills, (but there is Satnav), some Spanish, and an ability to share the driving.

Flights are less than 700 pounds economy, a Jeep is perhaps 500 pounds a week to be shared with the participants and food and hotels are well less than 30 pounds a day. There is also petrol.

If you are interested please give me a ring. 01604 412126 or email. I think my previous travel companions were well pleased with the cacti on the trips they have taken with me.

Cactophilitically

Trev
trevorwray
Registered Guest

Re: short notice Mexico trip

Post by trevorwray »

So... there are no willing recruits to this trip. I will go by myself. Flight and car hire all booked. I leave London on this Wednesday night for two weeks. Priority the search for Ariocarpus in flower. I have a huge amount of possible locations, many I have been to. The obvious disadvantages are navigating alone while driving and searching for those rare cacti with just one pairs of eyes.

The advantages, (should I survive) are that I can stop and search where I fancy, eat and sleep where I fancy. But they are outweighed by the lack of companions. So please expect that I may well want to compile this trip into some sort of branch BCSS presentation and share my experience.

Cactophilitically
Trev
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

If I were you I would cancel it.

Over the past 13 years I have been to Mexico 8 times, the last (and final) time (last November) I encountered a group of men with guns and consider myself fortunate to be still here. Had we got out of the car earlier and stumbled across them on foot, as opposed to along the dirt track in our car, I have serious concerns that there would have been 3 Englishmen less on the flight back. Everything I have read subsequently suggests the situation is getting worse.

I think you are mad to go in this climate, doubly mad to go on your own.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
kamos
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by kamos »

Trevor , I agree with Paul. It's lawlessness down there . Consider Arizona instead! :smile:
Neal
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Reading GOV.UK foreign travel advice does not make happy reading, especially well known cactus growing locations. Just a thought. Cheers
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

The problem looking for plants in habitat is you are often well off the protected tourist routes. OK in most countries, but some areas of Mexico do not like strangers snooping around, and looking for cacti would not always be considered a believable reason for being there.

See government recomendations:-

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... d-security

Anyway good luck.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

If you stick to the main roads, cities and tourist areas you should have a lovely time. Go to Oaxaca and chill out for a couple of weeks. Fabulous city - you might even catch the first night of the Day of the Dead celebrations before you go. I can recommend hotels and places to eat. Just keep away from small roads!! I have no idea of your personal circumstances but if you have a partner/offspring/parents/family you will save them going through 2 weeks of sleepless nights.

Edit - have a read of this account of my last trip - it mentions the hotel and various restaurants, also places to visit (and stay away from)

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk/Mexicoweb ... 0start.htm
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Flights are booked , he is on his way tueday.
Trev has been several times & has exact area's, routes & plants he goes to see I don't think he takes risks.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Paul in Essex wrote:Just keep away from small roads!! I have no idea of your personal circumstances but if you have a partner/offspring/parents/family you will save them going through 2 weeks of sleepless nights.
What's wrong with the small roads, except for the bumpy ride and risk of getting stuck in mud or sand?
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member

Post by Paul in Essex »

Aiko wrote: What's wrong with the small roads, except for the bumpy ride and risk of getting stuck in mud or sand?
I would have thought it obvious - it is extremely unlikely that large roads are going to be blockaded by drug gangs with guns. Even the Mexican police would do something about that. Small roads in remote or rural areas are a different matter - AS I DISCOVERED. I cannot stress this too much. I did not read about it, it happened to me. I was 2 hours from anywhere and faced a group of men with guns (and, for good measure, machetes) blocking the road. It is not something I want to experience again.

For context, I was a police officer for 15 years and in that time found myself in many tense and threatening situations. I do not scare easily, nor am I easily intimidated and in most situations feel confident I can take care of myself. Having guns pointed at you in such a remote place is a game changer.

I had done my research, I had been to Mexico loads of times. Things change.

Whatever.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.