short notice Mexico trip

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: short notice Mexico trip

Post by ragamala »

I think this thread has been useful in flagging up the fact that any small group or individual should plan and weigh up any risks in visiting any country in the world (Mexico is not alone in presenting risks, and unlike some countries has no firm recommendation by the UK FO not to go there or to specific parts of the country).

I am sure Trev, as a seasoned travller was fully aware, well-researched, as he showed from his OP and good for him. I think this thread has run its course and I wish Trev a happy, successful (and safe) journey. I for one envy him.

On a less serious note, regarding government travel advice - we might to consider how other countries regard our own. Reading all the detail in this Australian government risk assessment for travellers, I might think Trev is as safe abroad as he would be staying home! It also "does not make happy reading" as Eric says.

http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/e ... ngdom.aspx
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

The problem with a lone individual roaming the wilds often away from human habitation in search of plants is if they take ill or have an accident there may be nobody around to help them or get help. You may not even be able to use a mobile phone in some areas. In some places you do not see another soul all day who could help you, or anybody know where you have gone if you told nobody beforehand.

Even if it is only a vehicle breakdown it may take time to get help. Even Friedrich Ritter got into trouble at times travelling alone and said he was lucky to get away with it. It's always best to travel in a party and even safer to travel in a party using more than one vehicle.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

The point is, Dave, none of this. Trev has made his decision and weighed up the pros and cons. and I for one say good luck to him. I would not be so patronising as to think I knew more about the practicalities in his particular situation.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ChrisR »

We carry a satellite phone when traveling in South Africa. Maybe not much use if you get accosted by bad guys but peace of mind in case of some emergencies.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

DaveW wrote:The problem with a lone individual roaming the wilds often away from human habitation in search of plants is if they take ill or have an accident there may be nobody around to help them or get help. You may not even be able to use a mobile phone in some areas. In some places you do not see another soul all day who could help you, or anybody know where you have gone if you told nobody beforehand.
Better watch all Bear Grylls and Ray Mears episodes of their survival course...
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

How do you think they get the TV pictures of them Aiko, there are all the cameramen and support teams following them, often even using helicopters to film them. They are hardly on their own and out of touch with civilisation.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

DaveW wrote:How do you think they get the TV pictures of them Aiko, there are all the cameramen and support teams following them, often even using helicopters to film them. They are hardly on their own and out of touch with civilisation.
Then there is another other guy, who films himself and drags all the cameras round with him and tries to thrive (instead of survive) for a week on some location. I like him the most of the television survival experts.
trevorwray
Registered Guest

Post by trevorwray »

Hi all,

thanks for your feedback on my post to recruit for my solo trip to Mexico. I didn't have time to read them before I went but interesting in retrospect. And yes, I have read all those government warnings. I have also compared the number of people murdered in Mexico with those who die in road accidents. Murders are at an all time at the moment (due to the drug's war they assure us) but crashes still kill many more people. Drive very carefully in Mexico.

As you can see I survived. I saw hundreds of Ariocarpus in flower. Lowlights were the A. trigonus which would have been in full flower but for the persistent rain and the north was very dry. So dry I couldn't even find kotschoubeyanus at the places I have seen them before, let alone its flowers. Highlights were A. scapharostris and A. agavoides in full bloom. To see these diminutive cacti with just their flowers sticking out of the ground was impressive. I have never actually been able to find agavoides before, (and now I can see why).

Travel in Mexico is always a bit stressful with navigating and language problems. I aim to be respectful and polite to the locals and apologise for my bad Spanish. One policeman tried to apply 'the bite' in a half-hearted way at a roadside stop, 'Have you got something for me?' He held his hand out as they do so I shook it and wished him 'Adios,' with a smile, 'Encantado'. The car also broke down in the middle of nowhere. (We call it the 'road with no name' because it is not on satnav, though it is on an atlas.) I think a sensor tripped out the engine management because of the heat and low speed and I had the air-con on max. Very worrying indeed for half an hour. I had food and water for a day or more if I was careful. Two people passed and both stopped to offer help. Then the car started and continued normally, though I kept the power to the aircon low after that. My blood pressure has almost returned to normal now.

So in the end I will remember those flowers and not the iffy bits. And I know precisely those places to go back to for Ariocarpus trigonus when the rain stops!

Cheers

Trev
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Bienvenido de vuelta, mi amigo!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

Thanks for the update, I'm sure we all look forward to a more detailed and illustrated account in due course!