A Lithops observation/mystery

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ivan
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

A Lithops observation/mystery

Post by Ivan »

I have noticed that some Lithops, not all must exude some sort of powder for some reason. Perhaps protection from insects or animals. This is L. pseudotruncatella ssp. groendrayensis C244 in early June of this year.
pseudotruncatella(1).jpg
I placed them outside in fresh air with some shade cloth and that was removed when they needed a rain watering.
This is what I noticed about a month later. I didn't take too much notice thinking it was perhaps some sort of algae growth or perhaps air borne pollen had settled on the Lithops and the rain spattered it around.
pseudotruncatella(2).jpg
I didn't like the looks of that so I meticulously removed and replaced that with new pumice. Also at that time I moved them all into the greenhouse to perhaps eliminate air borne pollen possibility.
pseudotruncatella(3).jpg
I went on hand watering them and didn't notice and change from water splattering. BUT! The powdering or stain came back for no apparent reason. I don't notice any harm and I think I only noticed it because of the white background. Has anyone else observed this? It can't be just my emvironment???
pseudotruncatella(4).jpg
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A Lithops observation/mystery

Post by Ali Baba »

my guess is that pigments from the old leaf remains at the base of the plant are leaching into the grit when you water, and that you are noticing it because of the colour of the substrate.
Ivan
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: A Lithops observation/mystery

Post by Ivan »

Ali Baba wrote:my guess is that pigments from the old leaf remains at the base of the plant are leaching into the grit when you water, and that you are noticing it because of the colour of the substrate.
I removed and cleaned out all the old and dried out leaves before potting up. And it settles on top of the surface. I don't think that is it.