Lithops and a cono

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
daniel82
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Lithops and a cono

Post by daniel82 »

Pictures aren't the best, were taken in a rush, but I'm proud of this lithops aucampiae. I got it as a little single head three years ago and it's finally flowered.
Lithops aucampiae.jpg
Lithops aucampiae.jpg (67.05 KiB) Viewed 2108 times

This is a little conophytum pellucidum terricolor which was sown at the beginning of the year, it caught me by surprise to say the least.
conoterricolor.jpg
conoterricolor.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Lithops and a cono

Post by rodsmith »

Excellent, Daniel. It's very satisfying when you get your first flowers. C. pellucidum appears to flower very young; I've had three flowers this year on my two year old pellucidum seedlings (eight plants in total of varying sizes).
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
daniel82
BCSS Member

Post by daniel82 »

Thank you, it is satisfying. That lithops has been growing and putting on size slowly for ages but never any sign of buds before. It is one of my favourite mesembs, in a few weeks it'll start to go really red. I have a small selection of cono's which seem to be doing okay even though I'm novice with them. :lol:
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

The flowers should get quite a lot bigger too, over the next week or two.
Cheshire, UK
daniel82
BCSS Member

Post by daniel82 »

They have done, the petals have splayed out and are almost 3 inches across each (the lithops that is :lol: ) it really has been worth he wait. The cono has finshed now, so hopefully it can get on with some growing. Just spotted buds pushing through on my Conophytum taylorianum ssp. ernianum, it's my only adult cono so far but the mesemb side of my collection is growing....
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

daniel82 wrote:...Just spotted buds pushing through on my Conophytum taylorianum ssp. ernianum, it's my only adult cono so far but the mesemb side of my collection is growing....
Don't do what I did with this species, Daniel, and wait for the flowers to open - then discover that it is a night time flowerer. The penny dropped after a few flower-less days and I succeeded in getting some evening photos.

Sadly the plant died after its enforced lengthy storage in 2016.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Sorry Rod but Conopytum taylorianum is one of the day flowering species. If your plant under that name was night flowering then you had been sold a "wrong 'un"
Mafate79
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Mafate79 »

Hello,

Well done Daniel, your Cono was a little bit quicker than mine : here is Conophytum pellucidum subsp. cupreatum from Roodepoort (MSG3075) sown on 30 November 2016 (about 10 months old), preparing a nice pink flower! (tu) The pot is 5 cm wide.

Only 3 seedlings remaining, I had problems with sciarid flies...
Conophytum pellucidum subsp. cupreatum (Roodepoort - MSG3075).jpg
Conophytum pellucidum subsp. cupreatum (Roodepoort - MSG3075).jpg (432.25 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Terry S. wrote:Sorry Rod but Conopytum taylorianum is one of the day flowering species. If your plant under that name was night flowering then you had been sold a "wrong 'un"
I must have got my species muddled, Terry. I don't have many cono's and as I mentioned in my post, taylorianum (ssp ernianum) is no longer with us. Could it be obcordellum that I have in mind? :???:
Rod Smith