Plant Records

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Duns
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Plant Records

Post by Duns »

I'm a new member and very much a newbie. Currently I have 11 cactii/succulents which I have recently purchased from garden centers and Homebase. As my collection expands I was of a mind to create an Excel spreadsheet to keep track/records of the collection.

I was wondering what information I should record. I intend in the future to augment my collection with bought plants but also propagate from seed.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Plant Records

Post by DaveW »

Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thank you for the links Dave - very helpful indeed. Much appreciated.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Duns wrote:...I was wondering what information I should record. I intend in the future to augment my collection with bought plants but also propagate from seed...

Any advice would be much appreciated.
The amount of detail you record is your decision. I am a bit of a geek :geek: where records are concerned and keep an Excel spreadsheet containing various records, such as:

* When & where a plant was obtained
* Alphabetical list of plants
* Watering records (important, I think, if a species is rot prone)
* Details of seeds sown and success rate
* Annual size record (taken in winter when most plants are dormant)
* Date of first bud showing
* Record of demise/disposal

I'm sure you will think of other headings.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Philip Greswell
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Philip Greswell »

I have kept a record of plants on a spreadsheet for many years.

It is useful to me when a label becomes faded to go back and by a process of elimination, decide what the name was.

I find it interesting know where the plant came from and the date it was bought.When a plant dies I record this. I find it interesting and surprising sometimes, just how long I have had it.
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

I do pretty much the same as Rod, with two further records: what substrate were they potted in and when and, when plants were obtained from another hobbyist, where did he/she got the plants/seeds from. I'm currently thinking of switching to a proper database as the number of records now amount to several hundreds and a spreadsheet is too cumbersome for that amount of data.
Since these plants are potentially very long lived, labels tend to fade. I always write the information with a pencil, and at least the record number goes underground as well.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

Thank you all for your helpful comments. At the moment Excel seems to be the way to go bearing in mind that as it stands it will contain some 10 records :grin:

I think I will follow Rod's format when setting up the spreadsheet, I can always delete any columns that I don't tend to use.

Thanks again
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

As you are starting from scratch with your collection, another useful thing to do is to put a bit of a lable in the bottom of each pot with a number on, this can be recorded in your excel. If a lable fades or as in my case, a wren got in the greenhouse overnight and pulled out over 25 labels !, You will be able to rectify the situation easily.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
Duns
BCSS Member

Post by Duns »

That is a good idea Alan - I will certainly do that. Thanks for the tip.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

There is a thread on here that I started last year about OneNote and EverNote.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=164413&hilit=onenote

I have imported all my old excel info, its easy import photos, set up tags and any other info you want to use.
I run the app on my phone so it's easy take a quick photo when you're in the greenhouse.

I find it ideal to be honest. Has everything I want anyway.