Facebook as a tool to support the BCSS

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KathyM
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Facebook as a tool to support the BCSS

Post by KathyM »

I don't think people spend their time browsing social media instead of doing things. People use Facebook and Twitter to find out what's on, or perhaps even set up their own events. Look at the number of board games clubs or craft groups that have appeared in the last few years, for example.

It's easy to look at other plant societies that are struggling and blame the internet, but there are lots of other hobbies or events that are thriving. There are even events where people get together and play computer games. I think if people can be lured out of the house to play Minecraft in a museum then it really shouldn't be a Herculean task to get people to an event about plants.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Before we hammer the nails in the society coffin, after many years of decline the society has over the last few years held its own membership wise and this year are 1% up on the same point last year.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I'd better start by saying I've had no experience with social media, so what follows may not be accurate. However, I find some of the attitudes above rather puzzling.

In the days of printed media only, it would be reasonable for members to ask the volunteer BCSS officials to provide information as newsletters, journals, booklets, etc. But isn't the whole point of social media to allow all individuals to post content? On Facebook or other platforms, it is up to any or all members to contribute about plants or BCSS events, etc. as they want without "supervision" from the BCSS.

Of course, it is important that the BCSS has an attractive presence on the Internet for publicity and other reasons. But Facebook is a closed group that outsiders cannot see without signing up (& viewing adverts!). Yes, it provides easy-to-use facilities that have allowed many millions to add content on the WWW, but it is not a good place for the BCSS to invest its scarce resources. That should be on open platforms where everyone (incl search engines) can find it. People inside Facebook can then still link out to it whenever they want, but it would not be specific to one American corporation.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Retired from the I T industry
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Going back to basics, and partly in response to Derek's comment re purpose in posting content, there are two FB "official" presences - a group page, which is a free-for all for discussion which is different from this forum both in content and the fact that threads can not be maintained and followed up as they can here, which makes less ongoing and continued discussion. Personally I find the group page of little interest and use, but it is fine for outreach. I can only suggest the pinned post for the group always makes reference to the full web site, in addition to any topical announcement.

The "community" page, which is linked, is fine for announcements, and I think should be reserved for this use, which it is not at the moment. Apart from editorial announcements there are more occasional posts which to my mind should be reserved for the group, but that is a matter of opinion and is at the dicretion of the posting administrators. What is more important, though, is that the public are allowed to post to the page, although this is not apparent at first glance (only by clicking on "community" do public posts appear. This could be restricted, and imo should be not allowed. The main problem is not duplication of group-suitable material, but that people use the page to ask questions which are not answered because, presumably, of infrequent monitoring by admins. This lack of response on a page declared the official FB page of the Society might put off some folk.

Apart from those minor comments, I don't think the present arrangement could be bettered, and time is best spent on the main web site.

As for branch FB pages, the Manchester Branch Of The British Cactus And Succulent Society group page is imo excellent and has an appropriate mix of local interest and opportunity for local members being able to participate without being crowded out by frequent multiple posts from national or international visitors, as the national group page often is. I endorse the earlier opinion that local branch FB pages are where a little effort could repay well.
Ewen
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ewen »

This debate is very healthy and very topical at this moment in time.

Branch pages have to be the way to go. Keep it simple and post local news about events etc. That's the power of FB, it's alive and as far as I understand, the most popular of all social media platforms. To suppress its use because it's perceived as common and not intellectual, combined with the fact, older members don't use it as much as younger members of the public, is ridiculous. The society needs to move with the times. Branch Web site + Branch Facebook page has to be the minimum in this day and age.

The argument that it should be channelled through the umbrella FB page due to lack of local commitment is folly because both require the same amount of input from individuals. I say keep it local which means, it's quick and easy to post relevant information, about branch activities.

The fact this society has satellite branches where members meet, on a regular basis, means FB is not a threat to the main society.

Ewen
Ewen
BCSS Glasgow
Bridge of Weir - Scotland U.K.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Apicra wrote:I'd better start by saying I've had no experience with social media, so what follows may not be accurate. However, I find some of the attitudes above rather puzzling.

In the days of printed media only, it would be reasonable for members to ask the volunteer BCSS officials to provide information as newsletters, journals, booklets, etc. But isn't the whole point of social media to allow all individuals to post content? On Facebook or other platforms, it is up to any or all members to contribute about plants or BCSS events, etc. as they want without "supervision" from the BCSS.

Of course, it is important that the BCSS has an attractive presence on the Internet for publicity and other reasons. But Facebook is a closed group that outsiders cannot see without signing up (& viewing adverts!). Yes, it provides easy-to-use facilities that have allowed many millions to add content on the WWW, but it is not a good place for the BCSS to invest its scarce resources. That should be on open platforms where everyone (incl search engines) can find it. People inside Facebook can then still link out to it whenever they want, but it would not be specific to one American corporation.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
Retired from the I T industry
This I feel is seriously flawed thinking Derek, Facebook/social media like it or not is a major shop window for any organisation and believe it or not fight your way through the mundane and there is a a good deal of serious content and discussion going on and it is how the younger generation do stuf and has brought the society a good number of new members.

ragamala wrote: The "community" page, which is linked, is fine for announcements, and I think should be reserved for this use, which it is not at the moment. Apart from editorial announcements there are more occasional posts which to my mind should be reserved for the group, but that is a matter of opinion and is at the dicretion of the posting administrators. What is more important, though, is that the public are allowed to post to the page, although this is not apparent at first glance (only by clicking on "community" do public posts appear. This could be restricted, and imo should be not allowed. The main problem is not duplication of group-suitable material, but that people use the page to ask questions which are not answered because, presumably, of infrequent monitoring by admins. This lack of response on a page declared the official FB page of the Society might put off some folk.
Not having read this till now. must be case of great minds etc, I switched of posting to the page by visitors last night and also set up auto responses to messages suggesting that those with id and cultivation questions head over to the group page.

Kathy has volunteered to help with the page so she has know been given editor rights to that and the group.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

The last three posts have been of considerable interest to me and highlights a few truths about members' beliefs of social media and the benefits and loses that it brings to the society. As I said in an earlier post, ignore Facebook and similar media at your peril. The society can not afford to ignore it as it is not going away, rather embrace it and make use of it. It does has something to offer to beginners in particular and the BCSS Facebook group provides a good service in the way a few members take the trouble to answer questions and respond to novices and non-members. If this brings in more members then what is the problem with it? It is helping to keep the word about BCSS alive and noticed and, hopefully, makes it clear that there are people from the BCSS willing to listen to others. If we don't do this the group becomes less and less noticed by those out there growing our plants and enjoying them and this would bring about a decline in membership that is being experienced by all sorts of societies these days. Keeping up with the times rather than hoping social media will go away must be better than this, surely. Older people do use the internet and are willing to post, not all avoid it,and this is what should be considered by all members, so at least keep an open mind.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
agavemad
BCSS Member

Post by agavemad »

Well said Liz
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Yes, I think local branch Facebook pages are the way to go. Embrace it while it's there. Like Bebo it could be gone in a few years. What's next I don't know. I just can't take to twitter at all.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

Third go hoping to get it posted
1. Well done to Kathy for volunteering!
2. There are lots of things wrong with the group. I suspect I agree with all the criticisms above. But there are a lot of people there. I suggest general society members take the chance, when they can, to post about things they have enjoyed that are evidently linked to the society in front of this captive audience. Show membership is worthwhile. By all means link to better places like website, fb page, local group.
3. The current enthusiasm for all things cactus will fade. Who knows whether facebook will be here in 5 years. We ought to make the most of this opportunity now!
Cheers
Dacid Lambie