Facebook as a tool to support the BCSS

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Facebook as a tool to support the BCSS

Post by Chez2 »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:52 pm The BCSS facebook group page (as opposed to the less useful BCSS facebook page) is https://www.facebook.com/groups/434020283466998/ for anybody who wants to see it. I'm more familiar with this than I am the twitter https://twitter.com/cactussucculent or instagram https://www.instagram.com/bcss_cactusworld/ .
I joined many C&S-themed fb groups in the past and ended up leaving most of them as they seem to be used by a small band of energetic people who post the same content to multiple pages, often just mediocre pictures of mundane plants that they are trying to sell or that they're using to entice others to their own website with. Up to a point, the BCSS's group page hasn't succumbed to this too much so far, and does have a healthy contingent of genuine users, particularly beginners. But is it doing us any good?
Without careful curation, any social media function of an organisation like the BCSS is unlikely to be successful in what I think it should be doing, namely, recruiting new members.
I feel the Society is only at the very early stages on this one. It has been persuaded that it should 'do social media'. I'm not convinced that there is widespread enthusiasm for it. There may be a hazy hope that it can, somehow, become a recruiting tool but, beyond a few individuals here and there, there seems little evidence that there is sufficient drive to make it happen or the appreciation of how much time and effort would need to go in to it every day of every week. It isn't a job that can be farmed off to one or two people, it needs to become part of everyday life for, I'd argue, many scores of members and these need to have at the back of their mind that at least some of what they post should be about selling the BCSS by singing its praises. Only when a sizable chunk of members, and especially branch committee and BoT members, can describe what effective social media might look like then there's much hope of it being more than what it is already.
I stumbled across this thread searching for something else. I revived Sheffield branch Facebook page and added a chat group earlier this year. It has enticed a lot of new members or lapsed members. One has just told me she joined but hasn't gone to a meeting yet. I have been able to direct a couple of people to open days that are coming up.

Has anyone else tried social media and found it works?

Unfortunately several potential new members reached via Facebook will not attend a meeting or join unless we accommodate their needs eg show then how to grow plants at home in their house, greenhouse or garden. None of them are interested in the current meeting style of just seeing plants in habitat.
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

D^L wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm Having said that I don't expect to learn much, there are some interesting exchanges it there among the beginners questions. I argue that there is value in being on fb.
Cheers
David Lambie
I am a member of several tropical / exotic plant growing Facebook groups. You would be surprised at the knowledge level of some people. There are some of these people interested in joining our society if only we accommodate their needs ie show them how to grow and source plants. We do meet up at events and each others garden open days and some have become friends.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I still have major issues with the way that we're using social media, most of which were expressed in the second post that I made in this thread, after the one that you quoted. Not-quite-two years on from then, things have improved but only slightly. For example, I've just browsed through the first 400 posts that appear for me when I look at the BCSS fb group page and made a note of the posts that promote the BCSS's core activities (CactusWorld, publications, shows, zones & branches and their meetings/visits, forum, seed scheme, National Show, National Convention, etc.) and about 24 (6%) do this and even then it's not always obvious that the BCSS is involved. The type of thing usefully posted are, with the number of the post as it appeared to me at the point that I checked and the author were:

11 (Andrew Harris) - BCSS Birmingham branch trip to Wisley [after the event]
40 (Chris Backhouse) - photos of plants being prepared to sell at upcoming BCSS Harrow branch show
113 (Alain Sutton) - Bromley BCSS meeting event link
185 (Moanas Vighu) - "Grateful to have been part of an article in June 2019 CactusWorld"
194 (Andrew Harris) - report ofthe Birmingham branch meeting [after the event]
214 (Gillian Evison) - "homeward bound from the BCSS Oxford Show"
218 (Carlos Zeferino) - expressing thanks to the team who ran the Oxford & Haworthia show [no mention of the BCSS]
223 (Gillian Evison) - when Oxford Show plants "nose dive at a speed bump!" [no mention of the BCSS]
226 (Enzo Martinelli) - favourites from Oxford branch show [includes 'is attending' link to event page]
229 (Dom Bennett) - a trip to BCSS advertising officer Greg Bulmer's collection [not explicitly a benefit of membership but mentions BCSS]
234 (Chris Backhouse) - details of BCSS Harrow branch show
239 (Gillian Evison) - "Just a day until the Oxford branch show"
243 (Carlos Zeferino) - Oxford & Haworthia show [no mention of BCSS, or details of when and where this is. A question asking about the location went unanswered]
247 (Chris Backhouse) - details of BCSS Harrow branch show
256 (Teesside branch page) - Teesside BCSS show
270 (BCSS) - How would you sell the Society?
317 (Carlos Zeferino) - BCSS Spalding meeting reminder [initially posted with the wrong date]
325 (Phil Crewe (I do occasionally practise what I preach!)) - Share of BCSS Macc. branch post of RHS Tatton Park
346 (Cheryl Sanderson) - event page for Sheffield branch meeting
357 (Craig Thompson) - making branch meetings more engaging
367 (Craig Thompson) - Clacton branch has a FB group page
373 (Chris Backhouse) - shared event for BCSS Harrow branch show
374 (Bruce Walton) - "Tatton Show display" [no obvious mention of BCSS]
394 (Jim Mercer) - shared event for Liverpool branch meeting

Without these posts, the page would be indistinguishable from any other general C&S fb group page. It's going to struggle to promote the Society for so long as it's an almost secret society.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

I do agree that the Facebook group for the main society often fails to inform people that it is a BCSS group. I have often mentioned this myself on several threads on that group. People often have no idea.

I'm the Cheryl Sanderson you quote in one of your threads. I always post events on Sheffield page (and in our group and that page) and then share not only on the BCSS page but a local forum, four other Facebook groups, my own timeline, Twitter and Instagram.

I have shared the last two covers of the journal and it has been viewed 1,700 times with people on the main BCSS group asking what it is and can they have one.

Edit - if you look at my post you quoted the page is Sheffield branch of BCSS and when you look at the event it says its hosted by Sheffield branch BCSS.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

Chez2 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 am
D^L wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm Having said that I don't expect to learn much, there are some interesting exchanges it there among the beginners questions. I argue that there is value in being on fb.
Cheers
David Lambie
I am a member of several tropical / exotic plant growing Facebook groups. You would be surprised at the knowledge level of some people. There are some of these people interested in joining our society if only we accommodate their needs ie show them how to grow and source plants. We do meet up at events and each others garden open days and some have become friends.
The point I was trying to make, perhaps badly :smile:, was that Facebook is a route to advertise the society IN ADDITION to any enjoyment/knowledge one might get from the Facebook exchanges. So there is value in getting involved, even if it isn't your first source for info.

Phil's data shows we haven't been that successful in that advertising. I think that over the last couple of years there are more enthusiasts who do push it and I think there is much more discussion about the society than there was. Good, but looks like we need more.

Personally, I find it easy to answer a beginner's question (water more, water less, give it more light, don't grow in beach sand...). But weaving in a reference to the benefits the society offers requires a separate train of thought. And you don't want to become a stuck record. But would be worthwhile bringing it up, positively, more often.

Direct adverts for society events are an easier route. I have noted my enthusiasm for a coming branch meeting a number of times, but I'm sure could do much more. But social media work by loads of people doing so and agreeing how fun it will be and creating a sense of excitement about it. Great that some of our younger members find this more natural!

I think part of the problem is that many members make assumptions about what the readers know about the society. Teaser adverts for "marts" etc are fun - if you know what a "mart" is, if you know were the described branch is and if you know what a branch is in the first place. Many of the readers have no idea that there is a society beyond the FaceBook page so I think we need to, not be po-faced but, include direct information.

So to go back to where I started this thread: please, if you are on Facebook, write positively about the society - following Phil's data I aim to try and talk about it more.

Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

I have got some Facebook contacts to meetings or auctions and they think its old fashioned. I have persuaded them to give it a go and let the committee know what they want.

I must admit I did make assumptions and some were correct. Luckily we were given a warm welcome so I have tried to convey that on our Facebook posts. The very name 'Society' is putting some younger people off, I have asked them. I'm not saying we should change it but they suggest club sounds more something they would join than a society. I think the name mart is a little off putting to them too.
D^L
BCSS Member

Post by D^L »

Thanks for those frank perspectives Chez2.
Experience of what is demonstrably good, or not, is valuable.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

D^L wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:36 am Thanks for those frank perspectives Chez2.
Experience of what is demonstrably good, or not, is valuable.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
You are welcome. I'm Cheryl Sanderson, Sheffield branch. Feel free to have a look at our Facebook page and group within that for chat. I'm not saying its amazing but we are trying our best and ready to listen if anyone has any tips.

Someone who joined two weeks ago is chatting to me (us) on Facebook, she hasn't been to a meeting yet. She asked for some seeds and had seen Craigs open day advertised on the page. I messaged Craig and he had a plant that she was looking for. I would say that is a success.
D^L
BCSS Member

Post by D^L »

Chez2 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 am I would say that is a success.
I agree Cheryl!
purzo
BCSS Member

Post by purzo »

Chez2 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:56 am The very name 'Society' is putting some younger people off, I have asked them. I'm not saying we should change it but they suggest club sounds more something they would join than a society. I think the name mart is a little off putting to them too.
Whenever I refer to branch meetings I do tend to call it the "Cactus Club" especially to non-devotees. "Society" feels rather serious to me.

I'm also a Sheffield branch member and, whilst I wouldn't want to criticise the efforts made by the branch committee in any way, I would guess that the meeting format last time I attended would not be very attractive to younger people. I wouldn't pretend to know what would attract them but the old format is definitely not it (imho). In fact, even for me, the effort of driving 30-40 minutes after a day at work, sitting in a darkened room looking at some slides of plants in habitat locations (for instance), repeating the drive and finally arriving home around 11pm on a day before a workday has little appeal. I did enjoy meeting the other members, browsing through any plant sales, seeing the monthly table show, the social aspect in other words, but I feel that the presentations are very old fashioned. Were I retired or didn't have to go to work the next day because the meeting was on a different night maybe I would feel differently.

I do use Facebook and like the interaction there on the BCSS page but I couldn't for the life of me fathom out what use Instagram or Twitter were for a group like ours.
Last edited by purzo on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants