Facebook as a tool to support the BCSS

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ewen
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Facebook as a tool to support the BCSS

Post by Ewen »

So if I have read and interpreted the replies correctly. The BCSS is very much in favour of exploring and using social media because it is here now and will be, for the foreseeable future. I would like the word passed down to branch secretaries that the BCSS BoT, very much encourages the use of multiple platforms at the same time, i.e. a branch should have a web site which is complemented by at least a FB page, which as the majority of the general public know, is becoming even more popular, if one takes time to read and analyse, up to date data! We should emphasise that a local branch web site is not compromised by the addition of a FB page but in fact, enhanced by its presence.

Why is it so difficult to get this across? It's not rocket science!
Ewen
BCSS Glasgow
Bridge of Weir - Scotland U.K.
KathyM
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KathyM »

I think people who are an expert at something often don't understand what it's like to be new to something. A society like this tends to have a committee, etc, that is full of people who have grown cacti and succulents for decades, and it can be easy for them to overlook an idea that would be really useful to new members, or those at in in between stage.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I think that many do largely agree that we want a social media presence. Whether branch presence is necessary/positive is much less clear.
A fb presence needs to be alive and have regular interesting posts with pictures. If it is clearly out of date it is probably a detriment.
As mentioned above, that is a substantial commitment from branch volunteers and a requirement for IT skills from people; many of whom will be out of their comfort zone with a pretty static webpage.
Personally I think trying to get branch pages up is hard given the people who are available. If there is an enthusiast that will do it - fine. It should not be mandated from on high nor suggested that those who don't do this are is some way 'not getting it'.
An easier start is for existing fb users to post to the bcss group, something that is already active:-the kind of stuff Phil mentioned: Meetings, shows, CactusWorld etc. Imperfect but an achievable start.

Cheers
David Lambie
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

D^L wrote:I think that many do largely agree that we want a social media presence. Whether branch presence is necessary/positive is much less clear.
A fb presence needs to be alive and have regular interesting posts with pictures. If it is clearly out of date it is probably a detriment.
As mentioned above, that is a substantial commitment from branch volunteers and a requirement for IT skills from people; many of whom will be out of their comfort zone with a pretty static webpage.
Personally I think trying to get branch pages up is hard given the people who are available. If there is an enthusiast that will do it - fine. It should not be mandated from on high nor suggested that those who don't do this are is some way 'not getting it'.
An easier start is for existing fb users to post to the bcss group, something that is already active:-the kind of stuff Phil mentioned: Meetings, shows, CactusWorld etc. Imperfect but an achievable start.

Cheers
David Lambie
I think if there were a lot of photos of shows, etc, posted in the group that would make sourcing photos for the page easier. I think it is important to have an active Facebook page, not just a group.

At this time of the year I guess show season is pretty much over, so there have been a lot of missed opportunities this year. However, I know there is a mesemb show in Manchester this Saturday, so that's something worth posting about. I think if the BCSS really are interested in improving the Facebook page, there really should be something about this.
mary44
BCSS Member

Post by mary44 »

My experience of Facebook groups in general has been very mixed. Most of the time people are helpful and very willing to share their knowledge with newer growers asking very basic questions. More and more though I am becoming disillusioned with those people who believe they have all the answers and tend to leap on people who are using the wrong compost, or are clearly providing the wrong conditions for their plants.

The conophytum and Lithops forums especially are at times almost unreadable. For whilst many growers share superb photos of their collections and it is worth browsing for this alone, other people post photos of their plants either asking for advice or proudly showing them growing in totally unsuitable containers or using compost that is unsuitable.

Within a short period their posts will have been flooded with replies from people who tend to police the forums criticising their plants, the compost, and not always in a encouraging and helpful way. It's rather sad when the advice, if phrased differently, could be really helpful in encouraging another hobbyist into growing more plants.

Whilst Facebook and similar forums are really valuable communication tools, I wonder sometimes if people forget there is another human being involved, they can be so quick to judge and criticise.

Just my 2 cents.
D^L
BCSS Member

Post by D^L »

Regarding pages vs groups: I am not knowledgeable enough about this to comment, you may well be right.
What worries me though about a grand plan is that it will need volunteers to spend time developing it and I don't know who they will be - certainly not me I'm afraid - neither skills nor time.
My focus on the "group" is because it is active and has visitors now. It quite probably isn't the right thing but it is happening.
Regarding the quality of posts: there are different qualities of fb groups but the BCSS postings are described well by Mary. I don't expect to learn a lot from it and it can be dispiriting. Many of the posters are just there because cacti are popular in interior design right now. However, SOME of those people will move into actually growing the plants properly and these people may be potential joiners.
Regarding the mesemb show: it should be beralded there. One thing we have to be careful of is waiting for the authorities to do stuff. The society is just a bunch of people volunteering their time. One thing they need is help!
Cheers
David Lambie
D^L
BCSS Member

Post by D^L »

Having said that I don't expect to learn much, there are some interesting exchanges it there among the beginners questions. I argue that there is value in being on fb.
Cheers
David Lambie
KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I don't really use any Facebook groups any more. I also found that there were often a lot of rude replies. Plus they can be flooded with lots of pretty pictures without names, over-Photoshopped photos, pics just nicked off the internet, plants completely unrelated to the theme of the group, etc.

If we have an active FB page, we're choosing what a visitor sees. A person looking at the page for the first time and scrolling down to read the latest posts could see some photos of a recent show, a plant profile and details of an upcoming zone rally, for example. A person viewing the group and seeing that the most recent posts happen to be by people asking why their Echeveria has gone leggy maybe doesn't get a great first impression.

I am happy to help keep the page updated, but I would need someone to add me as an admin or editor. The society is currently trying to get more children involved, developing things like educational materials and seed kits and I am involved with this. I think a good social media presence will be particularly important for things aimed at a younger audience.
makleodss
Registered Guest
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Post by makleodss »

To be honest your society is too old. Wherever I go what ever meetings I attend I am the youngest in my near 38. So guys my words may be harsh but you missed up opportunity to save society about 20 years ago. now you have good opportunity finally get in touch with newer generation and still in doubt. There are hundreds of cacti groups around the world where people helping each others. Yes there are some cases when people are rude but very few. I am spending at least an hour a day going through loads of cacti groups looking at nice pictures and getting information. IFor instance I am visiting this forum only once in a half year and this post drives me crazy how an oldish people can reject opportunity for society survival. Your numbers are diminishing and new members even did not cover it.
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by daniel82 »

I prefer to think of the society as experienced. I'm one of the younger members and can only rarely attend branch meetings due to young family commitments. I personally feel that this society is one of the best special interest groups I've been involved with. Meetings are worth attending if you can, the magazine is excellent quality in both production values and the content, other worthwhile benefits are the seedlist and even this forum (well supported and caters really well for its users). In answer to the previous post, I'm not old but fb type of social media holds no interest to me and yet I found my way to joining. Also I don't think anyones rejecting using it to find a younger generation, its about how do you turn those random cheap clicks on that type of site into new memberships?

From speaking to friends who are members of other societies, it appears that generally most groups are suffering from fewer newer members and some of the reason for that appears to be directly related to fb et al. Why bother joining a society when you can tap in and get some info from random "friends".

If the society is to make fb work to help increase membership then I personally feel that it would have to a very clean page with careful content, definitely not random comments from anyone. But I also feel it would have demonstrate all that the society has to offer to anyone who is interested in growing even a modest collection of c&s.