Massonias coming into growth

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Massonias coming into growth

Post by Astro »

I usually repot in July/August right before the new growth season. That gives the bulbs some time to rest and allows the roots to dry out (although many Massonias tend to retain at least some roots) so a transplant doesn't disrupt things too much.

Having said that, it's definitely possible to transplant them in the middle of the season. I've done it a few times (out of necessity), some by moving the whole root ball to a larger pot (not disturbing the roots too much) and by repotting plants with cleaned roots.

To round things off, some flowers:

M. pustulata. Unlike too many cactus and succulent flowers, these flowers can last for a few weeks provided they're kept cool.
M. pustulata
M. pustulata
IMG_0516.JPG (159.77 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Lachenalia aloides v. quadricolor, a splash of color in the middle of winter.
L. (aloides v.) quadricolor
L. (aloides v.) quadricolor
IMG_0517.JPG (149.74 KiB) Viewed 674 times
M. jasminiflora, very fragrant and fortunately not in a Stapeliad kind of way.
M. (aff) jasminiflora
M. (aff) jasminiflora
IMG_0521.jpg (113.37 KiB) Viewed 674 times
M. depressa is in bloom now too (almost two months after pustulata and echinata). I'll post some images once I get around to taking a few pictures.
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Massonias coming into growth

Post by Astro »

Here is M. depressa. The flowers have large pools of nectar in a cup formed by the stamens.
M. depressa
M. depressa
IMG_0652.JPG (47.89 KiB) Viewed 624 times
I thought these seedlings looked pretty interesting, tiny little onions for a plant with the very long name Ornithogalum adseptentrionesvergentulum.
O. adseptentrionesvergentulum
O. adseptentrionesvergentulum
IMG_0658.JPG (155.95 KiB) Viewed 624 times