Looking for advice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
colser
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Looking for advice

Post by colser »

Hey All,
A couple of recent additions are currently quarantined.
IMG_2013.JPG
Labelled Gasteria bicolour x excelsa

What issues am I dealing with and advice moving forward gratefully received

Many thanks
Col
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Looking for advice

Post by rodsmith »

Could be a reaction to strong sunlight or pest damage. Gasterias generally prefer the shade, in my experience. The dark spots could be an initial reaction, turning white over a period. Was the plant affected when you bought it? You are wise to keep it in quarantine until you positively identify the problem. Other members may have different suggestions.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
colser
BCSS Member

Post by colser »

Hey Rod,
Appreciate the advice. Yep they were affected when they came my way. Will keep them quarantined and hopefully they are not too stressed so they have a chance to recover over time.

Many thanks
Col
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

This is the type of damage I associate with them being too cold and wet in the winter. We are hardly at winter yet, but perhaps the previous owner let them get too cold last winter. They don't want a lot of heat, but it's the combination of cold and damp which makes for those dark/black spots.

They won't grow out on the affected leaves but new leaves will grown and should be mark free.

Suzanne Mace
colser
BCSS Member

Post by colser »

Thanks Suzanne, very useful