Young Lithops questions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Young Lithops questions

Post by Cactus Kid »

Can this mixed half tray of seedlings be left dry all winter as I would the adults or should I keep them a bit warmer indoors and water them occasionally?

Second pic is my L.karasmonatum `Purper' from MSG seed with a possible interloper!
Any idea why they are stretching? They are on a sunny window sill with the others that seem OK :shock:
Mixed.jpg

Purper.jpg
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Young Lithops questions

Post by iann »

They could stay dry all winter. Or you can keep them growing, up to you. They'll need more room pretty soon!

Red Lithops tend to etiolate even in quite good light, also to grow fairly slowly. The excess red colouration appears to provide more protection from the sun than is healthy in our climate. The interloper doesn't look like L. karasmontana at all.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Cactus Kid wrote:Can this mixed half tray of seedlings be left dry all winter as I would the adults or should I keep them a bit warmer indoors and water them occasionally?
I would lightly spray them a few times, say once every month, during the winter. Don't keep them warm, as that might encourage them to grow. If you lack light intensity, you don't want this. Cool, just a bit of water to prevent the most of dehydration while they have a that little mass, and they will be fine.

If I were you I would transplant them to give them a bit more room. Better to do this now than in spring, as watering them shortly after transplanting is quite a risk for some mesembs. Now at least they will be much dryer than in spring onwards.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

... and separate them out by species :mrgreen:
Cheshire, UK
mary44
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by mary44 »

I have a similar problem with a couple of trays of seedlings. My answer was to prick out some and leave the rest so I am covered what ever happens. It is quite easy to remove a lump of seedlings and prick them out whilst leaving the rest for the winter. I have no idea if that is the correct way but it works for me :) .
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

mary44 wrote:... I have no idea if that is the correct way but it works for me :)...
With cacti & succulents the correct way is whatever works for you :wink: .
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Thanks for the replies (tu)

Looks like my wife has a huge job on potting the mixed tray up. Serves her right for chucking them all in like that!

As for the red ones, is it worth putting them under lights for a few months and then returning them to the greenhouse in the summer?
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

If you have good lights then they could be helpful. Unless they're pretty strong though they might make things worse, with the extra warmth just producing more etiolation. Lithops need much more light than a cactus seedling :cool:
Cheshire, UK