Conophytums

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bob Sobelman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Conophytums

Post by Bob Sobelman »

I cant take a picture because I gave them to a friend who lives 600 km. from me. he told me that I would kill them.
he said they are hard to raise. they are very small. I have to agree with you that's its best to buy seeds from established nurseries not from hoppers.
Mafate79
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mafate79 »

Hello Terry, hello all,
Terry S. wrote:I get particularly annoyed by the material being sold by "exotic cactus collection" in the States.
I completely agree with you about this seller. I bought Lithops verruculosa 'Rose of Texas' seeds from him some years ago, and finally obtained very nice karasmontana! (td)

Sylvain
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

Thanks for the info about pollinating Conos Chris, I have a few conos in flower at the moment so will try your method.
Dorothy.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

As long as you can see pollen on the bristle and are confident you are transferring it to a different clone, you should get success Dorothy by doing it daily. Be gentle and go to the bottom of the tube unless you can see the stigmas exposed when it's not necessary to go as deep.

You may want to try hybridising which is fine trying to cross different species. SH loves trying to produce weird and wonderful combinations but always keeps a record of which he does.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Dot wrote:That's very interesting Chris, what are you using to pollinate?
I use whiskers of a cat, or some rough hairs of a horse or donkey. I have those walking around near my greenhouse, so that helps...
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Aiko wrote:
Dot wrote:That's very interesting Chris, what are you using to pollinate?
I use whiskers of a cat, or some rough hairs of a horse or donkey. I have those walking around near my greenhouse, so that helps...
I use cat's whiskers as well to pollinate my Haworthia with decent results. The "bulbous" end must be rough and holds the polen pretty well.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

Pollinating last week, tonight and next week too as four clusters are later flowering.......and as one of these as a small plant is currently selling on ebay for (bids so far) GBP1510 maybe the MSG can sell a few seeds for silly money too - at least that's for a good cause :roll:

Anyway, they will be on the 2019 MSG seedlist, donated by me FOC. :smile:

Conophytum pageae from Komkans.
DSCN2423.JPG
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.